[Moo] A little project I could use some help on.

thewolfhou at aol.com thewolfhou at aol.com
Fri Mar 6 19:20:46 PST 2009

Greetings Josh,
Someone is going to be lucky with a beautiful walking stick. Leather would obstruct the view of the Amethyst. If the stone is deep enough, I would probably carve down a hole the same size as the end of the gem and glue it into the hole. In Medieval times, rabbit hide glue and other glues were used. If the stone is not deep enough to imbed and still see it, can you wrap the circumferance with a copper foil, in the manner of stained glass, solder it together with wire "anchors" down, and imbed the wires into holes drilled into the top of the walking stick and glue them in? If you need, I have copper foil, copper wires and soldering stuff, and can work with you doing it. I live in southern Stafford Co, near Fredericksburg. As to the waterproofing of the walking stick: wax. Good old fashioned Johnsons Floor wax provides a wonderful protection, nice to the touch, and period. It would need to be periodically rewaxed. Tounge oil is another possible finish.
YIS,
Blitha of Wolfhou