[Moo] Tuesday Heavy Fighter Practice After Action Report

William Muirheid mondor.winchester at gmail.com
Thu May 7 07:20:04 PDT 2009

We had a total of five fighter at practice with four in armor.  Excellent
opportunity to practice against folks at both ends of the height scale and
against a southpaw.

Practice started with Ragnar providing a sneak preview of his "The Use of
Spears and Poleweapons in support of Shield Walls" class.

With light failing and rain falling practice was moved inside for individual
fights.

Lessons learned:

Folks looking to become involved with the SCA read the web site and drop by
the practice to learn about us.  This is a good source of potential recruits
for the Barony.  We have even had a few of the fencers come over and ooh and
aah over polearms and armor.

It is critical to have an authorized Marshall at practice.

Getting to practice at the Manassas location is doable for fighters
traveling 28 from the North or 234 from the East & South.  Traffic is not
generally an issue.

Communication/Planning with fighters in the area is critical to getting
folks to attend practice.  No one want to be the only one at practice.

Suggestions:

A practice focus might make practice more interesting and bring in more
fighters.  For example:
Week 1: Defence against poleweapons, or how I learned to love my shield and
move my feet
Week 2: Wraps, not just for birthdays
Week 3: Speed, how to get it, how to beat it
Week 4: A Range, up close and personal

William de Mont d'Or