[Moo] Holiday Faire Tidbits and Facts

Laurie Clarkston garadh at verizon.net
Thu Nov 19 10:45:19 PST 2009

Greetings to the Great people of the Barony of Stierbach, and her two Cantons.

This Saturday, Holiday Faire will happen.  Holiday Faire is another one of those really great events that the Barony of Stierbach host where a lot of people travel far and wide to attend for just one day.

Did you know that Merchants at Pennsic talk to other merchants about this event?  How do I know?  I get inquiries from these merchants saying they have heard about Holiday Faire and they would like to come.

Did you know that we have people who come from all over Atlantia AND two other Kingdoms just to shop at Holiday Faire?

This year, I have one merchant coming from Vermont, one from Arkansas, two from West Virginia, two from Pennsylvania, six from North Carolina, and more from all over Virginia and Maryland, and even our local merchants travel upwards to three hours to get here.

A lot of work goes into putting on this event.  Inviting merchants to Holiday Faire starts long before Pennsic.  I check out merchants at other events to see if they are selling something that Holiday Faire might be interested in.  When I go to Pennsic, I talk to merchants.  In September, I send out invitations to merchants all over the Eastern Seaboard inviting them to bring their finest wares to our great event.

And this is just to get the merchants to fill the spaces in the large building.  This year, I sold out of merchant space a week before Halloween.  I have another ten merchants who will either be setting up outside, or squeezed into the smaller building.  I am still hearing from merchants who want to come sell.

There will be heavy fighting, archery, and rapier activities outside scheduled.  The weather is gonna be great for them.  After lunch, Bardic will take place in the smaller building with our brand new Bardic Champion, Humphrey of Hastings (you know, he is really cute too).  There is going to be a Silent Auction.  Got something you can donate?  The day will end with two great Courts.

Lunch is being prepared by Lady Elizabeth of Hadley Hall.  Here is the menu:
For $4 you will get:

a choice of 1 soup

    Vegetable Barley

    Beef Stew

    Chicken and Pear

 a choice of 1 slice of pie/quiche

   Beef pie

   Chicken pie

   Spinach/Cheese quiche

   Bacon/Cheese quiche

a choice of 2 side dishes

   Lentil & Carrots

   Cabbage ala Rumpolt

   Roasted Eggplant salad

   Fruit salad

   Apricot & Raisen Couscous

   Bread & cheese

Go hungry at Holiday Faire?  Only if you plan to.  You might want to make plans to get in line early, as lunch by Lady Elizabeth not only sells out, but she sells out quickly.

So, why am I posting this information to the great people of Stierbach?  For the last two weeks a call has come out from various people looking for a mere hour of your sweet time.  What is an hour compared to the dozens of hours that went into preparing this event by the Autocrat, planning and preparing lunch by the Cook, inviting merchants by the Merchant Coordinator, setting up the hall space, planning the fighting by all of the Marshals, recording the fighting by the MOLs, and planning and setting up the archery scenarios?  A hour is a mere drop in the bucket.

Your Baron and Baroness has need of your time to help make Stierbach shine in the eyes of the Kingdom of Atlantia.  This is going to be a Royal Progress this year.  That means an increase alone in the attendance...woohoo!

It is really a nice thought that those of you who have not volunteered will be spending the entire day fighting, or doing archery, or even shopping.  But, if you can find a little time in your busy schedule to help out just one hour, you will be doing a great deed for your Barony.

The saying, "Many hands, make for light work" is really true.

 --Two to five extra people to help set-up or clean up saves up to an extra hour at these tasks.

 --Volunteering an hour at Troll will move that long line faster.

 --Five extra people to help serve lunch makes that long line go much faster.

 --Helping to get ready for lunch means lunch will be ready on time.

 --Supporting your Baron and Baroness retaining shows the rest of Atlantia how proud her people are to be part of this great dream.

(No experience in these areas are need.  Someone will tell you what they need you to do.  It is all easy work, really)

It is only an hour.  That hour really makes a huge difference.

This dream, this game we play on weekends, on our vacations can only happen if you take a little of your time to volunteer.  When your Barony hosts an event, it is your turn to work the event a little so others can come spend the day playing.  Remember that when you attend other events and you spend the entire day enjoying yourself.  Someone made that happen for you.  This weekend, we have the chance to make that dream sparkle a little brighter for an entire Kingdom.  How many Baronies can do that?

Yours in Service to the Dream,

Baroness Cairistiona de Coveran

Merchant Coordinator