[Moo] Fighter Practice After Action Report

William Muirheid mondor.winchester at gmail.com
Wed Nov 25 11:22:49 PST 2009

I don't know if I can call this a fighter practice anymore.  While we
had three rapier and three heavy (two in armor) fighters practicing
the martial arts we also had the A&S Champion there doing science
things and an armorer using a ball stake to bend some legs.  It was
more of a lets get together and do some SCA activities night.  Which
is a good thing, but is beyond my basic taxonomy skills.

We were able to film some of the sparing so that folks can use the
video as a training aid.  I'll look at figuring out how to get the vid
off of my camera and onto a web portal of some sort so concerned
individuals can reference it.  On the heavy side it was mostly two
sword v. sword and shield as it was a bit damp outside and there was
not much enthusiasm for practicing pollarm or spear in the wet.

Lessons learned:

1) You have to hit the record button to capture any video on tape.
2) Throwing shots with only your arm, may make your arm stronger, but
does not win you very many fights.
3) Not all required armor is visible and you can never have too many of them.
4) Better late than never.  If you are going to be late to practice,
don't worry about it and come on out.  We can still get in some good
training even if you are armored up for only half an hour.