[Moo] Arming Coat & Other Armor Questions

Scott Cozad scott at cozaddigital.com
Thu Sep 17 07:51:40 PDT 2009

William Muirheid wrote:
> The Tournament of the Lilly is giving me an excuse to work on
> upgrading my fighting kit to be a bit more authentic looking than what
> I am currently wearing.  My target persona is a turn of the century,
> 1380's to 1410, English man-at-arms who has a bit of experience in the
> Med and Asia Minor.  However, in the past I have spent money on some
> piece of equipment that sounded like a good idea at the time but ended
> just did not working for me.  So having learned, eventually, from
> these experiences I have decided to try on clothing and armor before I
> buy them.  At the very least I would like to see an example fo the
> clothing/equipment and confirm that it will work for my fighting style
> and persona.

Edward:
The best way is to have one made for you.  A potentally expensive option
but worth it if you do a lot of fighting.  My opinion and your milage may
vary.  The next option is to go for an off the rack coat.  There are
several companies doing these now.  Such as Historic Enterprises and
Revival Clothing.  I have one from the latter and like it.

I have two arming coats (one of which has point holes in it now).  One of
them is an off the rack one from Revival Clothing and the other was a
custom made one.  If you'd like to try them on you are more than welcome
to.  If the one with point holes in it now you can even borrow it if you'd
like.

It looks like I will not be at Chalice this weekend and could send them
with Pippa.  If not I can bring them to practice next Tuesday night.

> I am looking at acquiring a brigantine, an arming coat, and/or
> pourpoint and would like to try on different versions/makes to see
> what works best for me.  Does anyone going to Chalice this weekend
> have an arming coat that they would recommend and might be able to
> bring to the tournament with them?  The same question goes for a brig.

Edward:
The pourpoint (defined as the "vest") is great for pointing leg harness
to.  But if you are looking for something to point arm harness or hear
weight at the shoulders then a full coat is the way to go.

I hope this helps.

Edward de Clare

--
Those who want to learn the right way should start reading small sections,
slowly and with great concentration, going back a couple of times to what

Dom Durate (1438); Livro Da Ensinanca De Bem Cavalgar Toda Sela, "The Art
of Riding on Every Saddle"