[Moo] FW: Children's Fete Letter

Shannon D. Combs-Bennett sdcbennett at alumni.indiana.edu
Tue Apr 13 08:40:16 PDT 2010

This came across the Merry Rose today.  I thought I would pass it on, for I am sure that any willing and able bodies fighter will not be turned away if they would like to let a child have some fun.

Yours,

Baroness Rhonwen

Greetings Unto the Chivalry and Squires of Atlantia from Jason Kinslae,
Konungr of Atlantia!

For the last 12 years at Pennsic, Atlantia has been the driving force behind
the Known World Children's Fete.   The Fete is an opportunity for the
children of the Known World to have fun and make new friends.  Over the
years the numbers have grown and there were over 440 children in attendance
last year.   As the number of children that attend the Fete grows, so does
the need for volunteers.  Volunteers are vital in making this tradition,
started by our own Duchess Arielle the Golden in 1998 (AS 32), continue to
flourish and grow.

One of the most popular activities at the Fete each year is the "foam sword
play."  The children take arms against an adult opponent in one on one
combat using pool noodle foam weapons. The adults make a good show of it but
basically allow the children to beat them at the game.   This activity can
be tiring and difficult to staff. The more "fighters" we have to rotate in
and out, the better. Each fighter can play it up as much or as little as
they want.

The Fete will take place at Pennsic in the barn on Wendesday August 11th
between 1pm and 4pm. In the past we have often had different Atlantian
Knights help with this activity and it is a great way to give something to
those who are the future of the Society.

Those who would like to volunteer can contact Countess Rowan Berran McDowell
( <mailto:gerkeeper at mac.com> gerkeeper at mac.com), the Lady of the Rose
sponsoring this years Fete, or Herrin Emeludt Hänsler (
<mailto:elisabeth.hansler at gmail.com> elisabeth.hansler at gmail.com), the Known
World Children's Fete Coordinator.

Thank you for any assistance with this process.

Regards,

Jason Kinslae, Konungr of Atlantia