[Moo] 2 upcoming activities in the Fredericksburg area

Barbara Miller blithaofwolfhou at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 31 05:08:18 PDT 2010

Sudentorre will be doing a Demo at the Dog Mart on saturday, Oct 2, all day.
This is an educational/community involvement Demo in the City of Fredericksburg
(last year it was at the Fredericksburg fairgrounds, and prior to that it was at
the Izzaac Walton League). The Dog Mart is a day for the dogs and for dog
lovers. Way back during Colonial days, the Colonial government in Williamsburg
forbade the colonists to trade with the Indians, because the Indians were
aquiring guns by trade. But as the Indian hunting methods had to change to
sustain themselves, they desired trained English hunting dogs, and the colonists
desired pelts. So, the colonial government declaired on fall trading time so
pelts and dogs could be traded. In the Fredericksburg area, this dog centered
day has carried on.... it became a day of parades with dogs, of a carnival, of
dog shows, of other dog related activities. Last year it got much attention at
the Fairgrounds. This year it is growing again and will be in downtown
Fredericksburg. The organizers feel that the medieval fighting is not dog
related. But they still wish us to come and present a historical view of dogs in
the past, and to take part in the opening of the Dog Mart: where the Potowamac
Indian tribe will come to trade with the colonial Englishmen for dogs. So... we
will need men dressed in late Elizabethan garb (or later out of period for us...
but most of the public doesn't know their historical fashions) for the opening
ceramonies. We will have dog related activities such as coloring sheets,
medieval games (hare and hounds sounds good to me... other dog named games?),
dog fashions (anyone wish to research and make some of the medieval dog collars
and equipment... there are some facinating leather, studded, and beautifully
embroidered collars!!!!), what did hunters wear (accessorized with crossbow and
boar spear), information on dog breeds and uses for dogs during SCA period, and
kids can get thier pictures as young Elizabeth (who holds a squirel) or young
Edward (who has a dog)... We will need help in doing this Demo...Everyone is
invited to research what kinds of dogs their persona would/could have had (and
then come in your spiff garb and bring or tell about your dogs! Dogs are welcome
and encouraged to this demo!)... do you have pictures of your kinds of dogs? We
can make life size cutouts of the dogs your persona would have used, and have
them on display at the Dogmart! What other dog related ideas and information and
activities can you think of and help us with?

Following the Dog Mart, we are planning a Meet and Greet Activity Night on
tuesday, Oct 5 from 7-9pm at the CCC on Dandridge Ave in Fredericksburg (near
University of Mary Washington). We wish to have an evening for anyone new or
newish to the SCA with medieval foods to taste, activities to try, and
experienced SCA peoples to talk to about the SCA. We encourage all to talk to
your neighbors and workmates, and invite them to this fun informational evening.
We invite all to come to our Meet and Greet Activity Night and meet and greet
others and share what fun you are having in the SCA! Wear garb if you desire,
bring the activities you are working on and can show/teach a new person, bring a
tasty dish (with ingredients in case they may have allergies), and/or just come
and meet and greet!

More information will be coming later... and if you have ideas, or can help,
please contact me!
--Blitha of Wolfhou
email: blithaofwolfhou at yahoo.com
phone: 540-809-6404