[Moo] [abhainniarthair] SCA membership fees increase

Maven sk8maven at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 4 18:46:32 PST 2010

I've got just two words for the Board of Directors. The first one is unprintable
and the second is "YOU!"

Duke Cariadoc warned us more than twenty years ago that one big centralized
membership fund is just one big honeypot for lawyers. Now here we are, proving
the truth of his thesis.

We have also found out by catastrophic experience that the "insurance" that the
SCA, Inc. was founded to provide is completely worthless. ONE scumbag in ONE
group in ONE kingdom, who wasn't even perpetrating his vices AT SCA events, has
ruined the whole game for everyone. That's what centralization can do.

I think we need to dis-incorporate and radically decentralize. No more BOD. No
more Corpora. No more big central honeypot. No more "insurance" that isn't worth
the paper it's printed on. It's going to happen anyway, as the BOD keeps jacking
the membership rates into the stratosphere to cover their incompetence and
misfeasance, and people start refusing to pay extortionate rates, triggering a
vicious spiral that can only end in the destruction of the SCA. Inc.

Best we start now, before things completely fall apart, to plan what will take
its place. The BOD needs us far more than we ever needed them - without us
they're nothing, but without them, we still have each other and our game. And
maybe we can write saner, less exploitative rules.

This HAD to blow up just when I was starting to think that it might be in the
best interests of Abhainn Iarthair to reinstate my membership. Wretchedly bad
timing on the BOD's part, to remind me why I hate them so much.

With apologies for a rant,
Medhbhin (Maven) / B Helms