[Moo] Fighter Practice After Action Report 06 July

William de Mont d'Or mondor.winchester at gmail.com
Wed Jul 7 06:55:44 PDT 2010

As promised there were no, none, nada, zero, frostbite or hypothermia
incidents (reported) at last night's practice.  We had three people in
armor and an potential heavy fighter who heard about the practice and
wanted to check it out.  There were four people practicing the deadly
dance (aka rapier).  One newer fighter was using some loaner gear.  If
heavy had loaner gear on site they would have had four folks kitted
out and practicing as well.

As projected the weather was hot, but very doable even in armor.
Hydration was the key, and we all kept an eye on one another looking
for any signs of heat distress.

On the heavy side we employed the standard rotation format.  Which
means we all had about thirty passes.

Lessons Learned:

1) Stand up straight! may be good advice most of the time but in heavy
fighting bending the knees will help you land more blows.
2) Rawhide edging on a shield works well
3) Pounding away with your metal hilt on a newly covered shield
without achieving any apparent tactical advantage could possibly annoy
the owner of said shield
4) Practice is fun, even in the heat
5) Loaner armor stored on site might be something worth exploring.

William de Mont d'Or