[Moo] in a first aid kit

Barbara Miller blithaofwolfhou at yahoo.com
Mon May 10 05:29:21 PDT 2010

Sorry for the bandwidth, but at the Royal Archer competition saturday (which was a great event if you missed it), someone asked what I put in my Chirurgeon bag and found most useful. maybe others will find part of this useful when packing thier own personal first aid kit your the summer of activities. I use a soft sided fishing tackle bag with a pocket on each side and on the front. And inside the main compartment, items are bagged in ziplocks according to what I may use them for. Starred items are the ones I use most often. I will also note that this is used by me for both SCA events, and a personal jump bag for any EMS emergencies I come across. I will try to note the EMS supplies you probably will not need unless you are trained to use them.

1 side pocket: Personal safety supplies (*baggie of latex free gloves, *alcohol based hand cleaner, *cleaning wipes, isolation mask, *plastic grocery bag for trash or a persons's stuff, & EMS guide [a small basic first aid book may be appropriate. Do read it!])

2nd side pocket: Over the counter meds (*motrin, *tylenol, *children's asprin, benedril allergy tablets, glucose tablets, rolaids, *anti-diarial tablets, and chewing gum). Do not get gel caps or such pills, as they rupture in the temperature variences of the car. And go through the stock and throw out what is out of date!

front pocket: emergency breathing and airway supplies (Mask for artificial respirations [sometimes also called a CPR mask], glow light, *flash light, trama shears, inkpen) Check your flashlight batteries periodically. CPR is a good skill for everyone to take a class in and know! Take the refresher class each year!

inside the bag, items are grouped and bagged as I may need them. I have my baggies labeled:

"Bandages" : *ace wrap, triangle bandage, larger triangle bandage cut from a sheet [fighters are often larger than the typical person]

"cleaning and splinters" ; *aniceptic wipes, cotton balls, q-tips, *tweezers, bandaids, small wash cloth

"Bandaids": assorted bandaids [*for knuckles and fingertips, *kid patterned ones], *neosporin

"larger wounds" : non-latex rubber gloves, cleaning towelettes, assorted bandaids [small, medium, large, kid patterned bandaids], 2x2 and 4x4 gauze pads

"Serious wounds" : large trama dressing, 3 large gauze pads, roll of tape

"itches/sun burn" : *After Bite itch eraser stick for bug bites, poison ivy/poison oak wash go pack wipes, *moisterizer lotion with aloe, *small child friendly sunblock stick, film canister of baking soda for wasp stings

"Blisters" : *moleskin, *small scissors, *tape

"Emergency repair/comfort" : *folding fan, small pk tissues, tampon, pad, *nail clipper with file, *small lip balm, shoe laces, small moisturizing lotion, *multi-tool with plyers and screwdrivers, lighter or matches, *small sewing kit, *glasses repair kit, lens cleaning wipes

"Contact stuff" : empty contact case, multi purpose contact cleaning solution, artificial tears eye drops

Miscilaneous items: Rain ponch, silver emergency blanket, throw-up bag, *small bottle sterile water for irigation, *flashlight, trama shears, Blood preasure and stethascope bag [I'm an  EMT, remember...], & small note book with paper, pencil, and Chirurgeon report forms [I'm also a chirurgeon]

So, that is about it... it is not fancy, but it is useful. Quantities of items are not numberous, because they can be replenished after a weekend. If you like being prepared and helping others in need, think on becoming a Chirurgeon to serve both your Kingdom, & group & and fellow mankind. To be a chirurgeon, all you need is a current CPR certification, current Basic red cross first aid training or higher, be an SCA member, be over 18, and be willing. You send a copy of your certifications, blue card and picture ID proving your age over 18 to the kingdom Chirurgeon. You serve a few apprenticeship events with a warrented chirurgeon, and if you demonstrate you can handle the situtions appropriatly, you are warrented.

YIS,
Blitha of Wolfhou