[Moo] Update on Michael Miller

Jonathan Blaine hourumiyamoto at gmail.com
Fri Apr 29 11:44:42 PDT 2011

Well he could of always donated one to me, he didn't have to go through such
drastic measures to get rid of one lol. :)
On Apr 29, 2011 2:37 PM, "Barbara Miller" <thewolfhou at aol.com> wrote:
> Michael is my oldest son. He lives down in Christiansburg, near Va Tech.
He was motorcycling home with 2 of his buddies, and in the turn lane to turn
left onto thier road. A car pulled in front of him and slammed on her
brakes. She did so so suddenly that there were skid marks from the car.
Michael never had a chance. He vered as he could, but still hit the back
corner of the car. His Harley flipped, and he went flying over the car,
bike, and onto the pavement. Police and a witness who was behind him agree
Michael never had a chance.

> All you riders, check your helmet to verify that the chinstrap is firmly
attached to the inside of the helmet with brad buttons to the helmet shell.
Michael's helmet came off as he went flying. One side of the chinstrap was
only sewn into the lining of the helmet, and it had no brad button attaching
it to the actual helmet shell. It ripped off during the crash. His was made
in Pakistan, but I don't know what brand it was. It went flying through the
back window of the car that had stopped in front of him.

> Anyway, his head is hard, and he only had an abraision over his right eye,
and some scratches and small cuts. He was very lucky. He was quite bloody on
that side though. When he landed on his rump, the right broken arm was back
behind him out of sight. He is laughing now that he looked down and did not
see his arm. His thought was "I ripped off my arm", but when he was trying
to get his belt off, he felt his arm behind him. He brought it into his lap
and told it to "sit and stay". He never had any doubt that arm and leg were
broken. The EMTs arrived, and cut off his pants, boot, and went to cut off
his leather vest... he got incensed about that, and got his left arm out.
His buddy Danny stepped in and unlaced the vest side, so that was not cut.
Michael was then flown to Roanoke hospital, which is one of Virginia's top
trama hospital. Michael said the flight was like a limo it was so smooth. He
did not even feel the landing. He was used to the bouncy rides in Iraq...

> Good thing was, no bones poked through the skin. He was extremely lucky
and had no internal injuries either! So far he is healing fine without
complications. He figures he was not ment to have 2 motorcycles, and he
figures by the end of summer he will be back on the Yamaha with a better
helmet.

moo at lists.stierbach.org>
> Sent: Fri, Apr 29, 2011 10:14 am
> Subject: Re: [Moo] Update on Michael Miller
>

> When did this happen? I'm not sure if I know michael, but good luck.
> On Apr 29, 2011 2:08 PM, "Barbara Miller" <thewolfhou at aol.com> wrote:
>>
>> Greetings all,
>>

>> Michael appreciates knowing that folks are cheering him on and keeping
him in prayers as he is recovering from the Motorcycle accident of last
monday. As of today, Friday, about noon, he has just come through surgery on
his right wrist (plate put in) and right humorus (pins put in), and his left
hip bone was reasessed carefully on how bad the crack was in the asetablium
(socket area where the ball of the femur rotates in)... and all is good. The
surgery part went well, and the hip bone crack is not as bad as initally
feared. He will now begin to start some rehab, and after a week or 2, start
bearing weight on his left leg. But with the pins ans such, the leg and arm
and wrist are "repaired" and able to be used.

>> I still don't know if he will be going to a short rehab place for a few
days after the hospital, or directly home in the tender care of his
housemates and friends. If there are no complications, he will probably be
discharged from the hospital on sunday or monday to the next stage. He
already is bored of being in the hospital, and ready to go back to work. He
was only a day or so from advancing from Apprentice to Journeyman at Norfolk
Southern, deisel shop.

>> Thanks you all!
>> --Blitha

comfortably. He came out of surgery on his leg with good results. While he
will be able to walk while his leg mends, the fracture on his pelvis will
keep him in bed for several weeks. Today the doctors are going to discuss
the treatment of his arm and wrist.

>> If you would like to send a card to Michael, Blitha thinks he is gonna be
in the hospital for a week before either going home or to a rehab center.

>> Please use Michael's home address for the return address, in case he
leaves the hospital before he gets the card. The hospital will put "Return
to sender" on the envelope:
>> 80 Nursery Lane
>> Christianburg, VA 24073
>>
>> Roanoke Memorial Hospital
>> Attn: Michael Miller, Room 991
>> PO Box 13367
>> Roanoke, VA 24013
>>
>> If you are on FaceBook, you can look up Michael there and send him
messages. He did post a little bit before surgery. He might not be up to
posting again for a day or so due to medication.