[Moo] Paulus Hector Mair online

Scott Cozad scott at cozaddigital.com
Wed Aug 17 18:53:51 PDT 2011

There are now two complete editions of Paulus Hector Mair (mid 16th
century) are now available online.  The edition at the University of
Dresden is in German, while the one at the Bavarian State Library is in
Latin.

The PHM manuals represent a catalog of techniques rather than a system.
Though he does draw from the earlier German martial traditions.  As well
as contemporary Italian systems.  Interestingly PHM also includes
fighting with weapons not covered in other manuals.  At least none that
I'm aware of.  These include the scythe, flail, and sickle.

There is currently no complete translation of these manuals.  The
polearm section has been translated and published.
Though the German edition is fairly readable.  I'm no Latin scholar so I
cannot comment on that edition.

Beyond all the fighting stuff costumers may want to take note.  Not only
are the texts in color they also show clothing from angles not normally
seen.

University of Dresden
Volume 1 Mscr.Dresd.C.93
http://www.slub-dresden.de/sammlungen/digitale-sammlungen/werkansicht/cache.off?tx_dlf[id]=7522&tx_dlf[page]=1&cHash=cf36da38f759b39981b9693d61c7e403

Volume 2 Mscr.Dresd.C.94
http://www.slub-dresden.de/sammlungen/digitale-sammlungen/werkansicht/cache.off?tx_dlf[id]=51335&tx_dlf[page]=1&cHash=a12146eec9002ae8c46911ea8e2d4e55

Bavarian State Library
Volume 1 BSB Cod.icon. 393 (1)
http://dfg-viewer.de/show/?set[image]=1&set[zoom]=default&set[debug]=0&set[double]=0&set[mets]=http%3A%2F%2Fmdz10.bib-bvb.de%2F~db%2Fmets%2Fbsb00006570_mets.xml

Volume 2 BSB Cod.icon. 393 (2)
http://dfg-viewer.de/show/?set[image]=1&set[zoom]=default&set[debug]=0&set[double]=0&set[mets]=http%3A%2F%2Fmdz10.bib-bvb.de%2F~db%2Fmets%2Fbsb00007894_mets.xml

Edward de Clare

"For as we are not all of a single nature, so we also cannot all have a
single style in combat; yet all must nonetheless arise and be derived
from a single basis."
Joachim Meyer - Dussack section 1570 edition.