[Moo] Updates from Sapphire Curia - Long email alert!

lady_esperanza at cox.net lady_esperanza at cox.net
Tue May 31 16:18:12 PDT 2011

As crazy as it might sound, after all that,  I forgot something:

The Crown would like Retired Land Baronage to be given special Titles. These titles are yet to be determined, all retired Baronage would be Grandfathered in. This practice is already done in some other Kingdoms and they would like for Atlantia to start this also.

Lady Esperanza Susanna Flecha
Seneschal, Barony of Stierbach

---- lady_esperanza at cox.net wrote:
> Their Excellencies and I attended the Curia that was held Sunday at Sapphire Joust. I am sending my notes to the populace so that if there are questions, they can be answered at the Baronial Business Meeting tomorrow night or the Canton meetings that are coming up.

Sorry for the length of this email but Curia had 22 items and I took a lot of notes. My original was in Word. I didn't think all lists could get an attachment so please pardon the format. If anyone would like the Word version please email me off list. Thank you.

Sapphire Joust Curia:

I.	Greetings and Updates from previous Curia’s
a.	3 Curia’s this reign is a record.
b.	All Laws and Officers Policies will be posted online – they would like to have comments
i.	There are a number of reviews still in progress
c.	Letters of clarification given to Baronage for the changes proposed for the symbols of Rank. They were asked to please update their populaces. There felt like there is a lot of misinformation out there.
d.	No final words today – just thoughts and ideas
II.	Agenda
a.	22 items - Not time to discuss all these items in depth but their Majesties wanted all to know that these changes are a joint effort between themselves and Their Highnesses
b.	Agenda Items
i.	Removal for requirement for Curia in a Reign
1.	If there is no Business there then they would like to have No Curia
2.	They believe that there the Great Officers of State can check in with the Crown without having to have it at a Curia
ii.	Adding the positions of Officers of State under the Great officers of State
1.	Similar to how the Earl Marshal office currently works, as the Earl Marshal is over the Deputy Marshal for Equestrian, Target Archery, Combat Archery, Rapier, Thrown, Siege, etc.
a.	Right now deputy positions do a lot of work without any of the privileges. These new positions would become members of Curia.
b.	These changes would go no lower then deputy of those positions but Officers of State could create deputies of their own.
c.	Kingdom would gain training aid and other offices could benefit
iii.	Officers of State and Baronage term limits to be removed
1.	They would like for there to be an introductory term to the office – but are looking for what that should be.
a.	Example: Sign on for an initially for 3 years and then warrants to be granted each 1 year after or Officers of State every 2 years sign on for at least a 2 year term and then reup again after each year after.
2.	Why change? There are 47 sets of officers for our Kingdom. These positions are often hard to fill or keep filled.
3.	Pollings of Confidence would still continue for Baronage
a.	Pollings of Confidence will be moving online (at some point)
i.	Groups wouldn’t have to order labels any longer
4.	They believe that the ability to re-warrant indefinitely is a cleaner model
5.	This would affect Nothing below an Officer of the State
6.	Potential initial time limits could be the same as they are now.
iv.	Baronage not automatically receiving a GOA
1.	As it is now, Current Baronage received a GOA (Grant of Arms) upon their investiture.
2.	They would like to change it so that you receive the GOA once your initial term has ended instead, similar to County or Ducal.
3.	They do not believe it is fair to give out the cookie before hand and it is VERY hard for a GOA to be taken away once it is received.
a.	Example: The Baronage of X has stepped up for their initial 3 year term. After a week the Baron decides the job isn’t for him. The Baroness completes the term successfully but it is fair that both of them received a GOA?
4.	We didn’t really have time to discuss fully and asked for feedback
v.	Limiting Court Baronages per Reign
1.	There are approx 450 Court Baronages
a.	Average 5 per Reign but some are as high as 10 and sometimes 20.
b.	They would like to limit Court Baronages, the number could even potentially affect even Retiring Landed Baronage but it doesn’t have to.
i.	This would limit Baronages given out for Frivolous reasons as some have been.
ii.	Precedence would change – We have an Order of the March
iii.	People would be Ranked by Grant date
iv.	People would be Ranked by AOA date
v.	Peers and Royal Peers don’t change
vi.	Orders of March, such as for Crown Tourney – No Affect.
vii.	They were thinking 3 per reign outside of retiring Baronage, it would become like a Non Peril
viii.	Stated that 25% of people receiving Court Baronage gone after 3 years
ix.	Undecided on the Limit number – looking for feedback
III.	The Quick List of Changes – not asking for feedback – Just changing
a.	Changes for Crown - They would like to change it so that people have to live in the Kingdom to Rule the Kingdom. Currently it is written so that people can be in our Crown and win Crown but not have to live in the boundary of Atlantia
i.	Event requirement will be taken out – Their really isn’t a way for this law to be validated anyway so they are taking it out.
b.	Kingdom MOL changes: MOL position to move under Earl Marshal – MOL to become a Officer of State to Earl Marshal  - so basically be gains a Great Officer of State to report to.
1.	Issues with Tourneys on Draw Sets – Lists should never be changed for fights, changing the list or asking for the list to change is cheating!
a.	This went back and forth a little as there are circumstances that come up when there is a valid reason to change the Draw Sets.  MOL believes there are easy fixes to these issues and that changes being asked for should just be limited to Crown Tourney at this point.
b.	It would take 3 people to change the list. Crown, MOL and Marshal
c.	Removing Arms of Heirs in Kingdom Law
d.	Changing it so that the Order of the Rose is not a Patent Order
e.	Golden Rose to always be 3rd Saturday in April
f.	Princess and Prince Royale to be removed from Law
g.	Regrouping of Awards in the OP – Orders of High Merit raised to GOA
h.	Children Awards 0 – 17 age  - tiers for awards being put back in.
i.	Electronic Notification for Curia to be updated in Law – it is was already approved at the Curia at Coronation but has yet to be changed in the book.
j.	Proposal for a GOA award for Equestrian – please send feedback
IV.	Back to the Non Quick List of changes
a.	The 150 mile rule for event no conflict to be enforced for all events
i.	They would be removing the checked box in spike
ii.	It would be a Site to Site measurement.
iii.	Groups wouldn’t be able to conflict with any other groups event that was not at least 150 miles from their site – no exceptions
iv.	This forces more preparation for most events, would probably take for then 6 months lead time.
v.	Some sites won’t allow contracts to be signed until that current calendar year so they could make allowances for that – Kingdom Seneschal as events are not supposed to be Spiked until there is a signed contract.
vi.	There used to be a Northern Calendar , maybe we should go back to that mindset.
vii.	This will make some changes to the number of events as the Calendar would be first come, first served. Events would need to be Spiked Early!
viii.	There was a lot of talk of traffic and how Northern Atlantia was different but it was stated that would not make a difference. Traffic in the north was not going to change this.
ix.	There were concerned raised that two events less then 150 miles for each other would have a totally different draw of Atlantia populace, example, June 1st – Highland River Melee’s and On Target but they don’t want to make exceptions. It could be seen as  unfair.
x.	Concern raised that it could limit small specialty events, like all archery events, as groups are not able to get dates on the calendar so they would drop their smaller events to make sure their bigger events got a date.
xi.	They would like feedback on this potential change.
V.	Free Range Topic
a.	Looking to Raise Numbers for the number of people to start groups
b.	There are a lot of groups in Atlantia
c.	Cantons – 15 to 20 people
d.	The last Barony to make it had 57 paid members and they would have liked them to have more.
VI.	Next Curia at Atlantia 30 year
a.	Until then please read the updated Policies and provide feedback.
b.	Feedback to be send to feedback at atlantia.sca.org