[Moo] Moo Digest, Vol 98, Issue 3

Megan Mitchell mwymarc at gmail.com
Fri Feb 3 08:13:19 PST 2012

Same-sex relationships amoung royalty are fairly well documented within
period. I don't think that two men or women ever ruled jointly, but many
European sovereigns had 'favorites'. Also, there has been a significant
amount of controversy over a possible relationship between Richard the
Lionheart and Phillip II of France.

It seems that the normal response to such 'favorites' was to turn a blind
eye to such a relationship, as long as there were still heirs. (The Valois
dynasty in particular died out because Henry II refused to bed a woman for
the sake of an heir.)
The question doesn't seem to have mattered to them; why should it to us?

-- Marina