[Moo] Details on The Lawsuit, and some comments

Lisa Mitchell cframwymarc at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 5 15:22:16 PST 2012

I'm working on a couple of scenarios.

Ceridwen
Exchequer

Date: Sun, 5 Feb 2012 15:41:22 -0500
From: hourumiyamoto at gmail.com
To: moo at lists.stierbach.org
Subject: Re: [Moo] Details on The Lawsuit, and some comments

And so because of the actions of one oshirinoana (asshole in Japanese), everyone in the sca gets (censored). Lovely, so what's the plan, I know we as a barony aren't going to sit idly by, I personally want to get this monies owed business out of the way. Game plan?

On Feb 5, 2012 10:41 AM, "Maven" <sk8maven at yahoo.com> wrote:

    Copied from SCA-Bridge-Chat (Barony of the Bridge, East Kingdom):

    The SCA has announced they have settled the lawsuit. The original
    news release can be found: http://sca.org/BOD/announcements/settlement.html

    The questions below cover the article.

    SCA Settlement FAQ

    What was the lawsuit about?

    Actually, there are two lawsuits, one filed against the SCA and one
    filed by the SCA to protect its interests and enforce its insurance
    policies.

    Several years ago, a former SCA member named Ben Schragger was
    convicted of the sexual abuse of multiple children that he allegedly
    met through the SCA from 1999-2001. He was sentenced and is
    currently serving a 62-year prison sentence. The Board, of course,
    permanently revoked his SCA membership.

    After an initial civil lawsuit was filed and dismissed in 2007
    against the Society for Creative Anachronism, Inc. ("SCA"), a second
    civil lawsuit was filed in 2009 claiming that the SCA should be held
    liable for Mr. Schragger's wrongdoing. The lawsuit also asked that
    the SCA be held liable for allegedly not having effective policies
    in place at that time to protect these children. Three SCA
    participants who were local officers during this time were also
    named as defendants in the lawsuit, and as officers of the
    corporation, had the right to be indemnified against any ensuing
    legal costs. The Plaintiffs in the lawsuit demanded Seven Million
    Dollars ($7,000,000.00) in damages from the SCA.

      The SCA immediately tendered the lawsuit to its insurance
      companies and one insurer agreed to cover the SCA's attorney's
      fees incurred in defending the lawsuit. All other insurers refused
      to cover defense fees or indemnify the SCA in the event of a
      settlement or judgment.

      In 2010, both insurance carriers threatened to file suit in
      Federal Court. They wanted a Federal Court judge to rule that the
      insurance policies did not cover the 2009 lawsuit and did not
      cover the defense or indemnification of the SCA or its officers in
      the 2009 lawsuit. As a protective measure, it was necessary for
      the SCA to file a pre-emptive lawsuit against both insurance
      carriers, demanding payment under the policies. In this lawsuit
      the SCA demanded coverage in California, where the SCA is
      headquartered. The SCA has been required to pay the attorney
      representing the SCA in this lawsuit against the insurance
      carriers. It stands to reason that payment of these fees has left
      the SCA in a precarious financial position.

        Why is our insurance company not accepting responsibility for
        covering our loss?

      The insurance carriers have offered a number of different reasons
      for their position that the 2009 lawsuit should be excluded from
      coverage under the policies. The SCA does not believe that any of
      these reasons have any merit and is continuing its suit against
      the non-paying insurance carrier. A trial date has been set in
      May, 2012.

      Which lawsuit is being settled by this settlement payment?

      The 2009 lawsuit against the SCA, in which plaintiffs asked for
      $7,000,000, will be fully and finally settled and dismissed with
      the settlement payment of $1,300,000.

      How was the settlement arrived at?

      After many years of legal process, in October of 2011, the victims
      agreed to settle for $1,300,000.00. This settlement was promptly
      presented for approval to both of the SCA's insurance carriers.
      The acceptance of this offer provides the SCA with the assurance
      that there will be no further lawsuits brought by the victims of
      Ben Schragger and thus brings to a close the financial and legal
      risk to the Kingdoms, officers, and the SCA as a result of the
      lawsuit. One insurance carrier agreed to pay $450,000 of the
      settlement amount. The other insurance carrier has refused to
      contribute to the settlement. Therefore, the SCA has been forced
      to pay the remainder of this settlement, $850,000. This brings the
      total cost to the SCA for both the settlement and the related
      legal fees to over $1,000,000.

      Are we sure there will be no future lawsuits related to the
        subject matter of the 2009 lawsuit?

      We cannot be 100% positive, but we know that the plaintiffs in the
      2009 lawsuit are all of the victims that were named in the police
      reports.

      If the SCA is not guilty of any wrong-doing, why are we
        settling the 2009 lawsuit instead of continuing to fight the
        charges?

      The simple answer is that we cannot afford it. Like any other
      corporation, the SCA must make decisions about the most effective
      use of the money it has, and the financial impact of the lawsuit
      is effectively diverting a large amount of funds that could be
      much better used to serve the SCA by fostering our mission of
      researching, teaching and experiencing aspects of the Middle Ages
      and Renaissance. The SCA is not admitting to any wrong-doing by
      settling the 2009 lawsuit, and the settlement and release
      agreement clearly state that fact. Settling the lawsuit now, for a
      fraction of the original demand, will allow the SCA to move
      forward and to concentrate on rebuilding our finances and
      developing initiatives that can make the SCA a healthier
      organization with which to support our mutual dreams.

      How much has the SCA paid in legal fees, and how much will it
        have to pay before the lawsuit against the insurance carrier is
        decided?

      Costs arising from the 2009 lawsuit, the settlement and the
      associated legal fees have surpassed $l,000,000. The SCA must also
      anticipate additional legal fees as it pursues the non-paying
      insurance carrier and seeks judgment in May 2012 that the
      insurance carrier must pay the SCA's expenses and those of the
      three local officers for the 2009 lawsuit. There is no way to know
      with certainty how much the SCA will still need to pay, but those
      costs will probably be in the tens of thousands of dollars.

      Why is the SCA asking the Kingdoms for money?

      The SCA corporate office simply does not have this much in cash,
      assets or cashable dollars. While the corporate office of the SCA
      has managed the burden of our shared liability to date, it has
      been the entirety of Society for Creative Anachronism, Inc. that
      has been liable for damages under this lawsuit. In order to the
      meet the terms of the settlement without financially crippling the
      SCA, its subsidiaries or any single branch, it has thus become
      absolutely necessary that each Kingdom located in whole or in part
      in North America, both Pennsic and Gulf Wars, and the subordinate
      Corporate level checking accounts contribute an equal percentage
      of their separate total cash assets to the settlement and
      associated legal fees. The other wars will contribute as part of
      the Kingdom through which they report.

      Why are all the Kingdoms liable?

      The 2009 lawsuit was brought against the Society for Creative
      Anachronism, Inc. and thus included all of the SCA. In order to
      meet the terms of the settlement without crippling the SCA or any
      single Kingdom, all Kingdoms will be required to contribute.

      Are branches outside North America expected to contribute?

      No, Kingdoms and affiliates outside of North America are not being
      required to contribute to the settlement (although voluntary
      donations would be gratefully accepted!). First, the affiliates
      were not named in the lawsuit. Second, these branches were
      incorporated under different tax IDs and non-U.S. jurisdictions,
      with their own Boards of Directors and responsibility for their
      own financial matters and insurance policies. With regard to
      Canadian Provinces, the SCA is incorporated as a foreign
      non-profit corporation so that Canadian branches are part of the
      overall Society for Creative Anachronism, Inc.

        Are the subsidiaries exempt from having to contribute?

      No. At the time of the filing of the lawsuit, the subsidiaries did
      not exist. All kingdoms were branches directly under the umbrella
      of the Society for Creative Anachronism, Inc. Regardless, all
      subsidiaries are wholly-owned by the SCA, and as the sole owner,
      the SCA has the authority to use or direct the use of the
      subsidiaries' assets for the benefit or objectives of the SCA as a
      whole.

      Why are Pennsic and Gulf War singled out among the
        inter-Kingdom wars?

      Pennsic and Gulf War both report independently to the Society
      Exchequer's office and have separate bank accounts that do not
      fall under a Kingdom's authority. All other inter-Kingdom wars
      will contribute as part of the Kingdom through which they report.

      Will the SCA branches that are contributing to the settlement
        get their money back if the SCA wins the lawsuit against the
        insurance company?

      Absolutely! If the SCA prevails in its lawsuit against the
      non-paying insurance carrier, any funds recovered will be
      distributed to the kingdoms, on a pro rata basis, after payment of
      any remaining legal fees.

      Will the funds collected be kept separately from the general
        SCA funds?

      The settlement funds will not be kept separate because a check
      will be cut almost immediately in order to meet the deadline for
      payment of the settlement. The funds that will go toward any
      future legal fees will be kept in a separate checking account,
      earmarked for use only in paying the SCA's legal fees.

      Are there penalties if Kingdoms or the named inter-Kingdom
        events don't produce their share of the funds to SCA?

      Yes. The bank accounts owned by the various U.S. branches are,
      directly or indirectly, legal assets of the Society for Creative
      Anachronism, Inc., and the SCA would have the right to freeze all
      funds in such accounts, although it would take any such step very
      reluctantly.

      What has the SCA done to prevent this type of problem from
        happening in the future?

      The SCA has worked to improve its policies and institute new
      policies where needed. Some of the new policies include the
      two-deep rule and criminal background checks on anyone wishing to
      administer youth activities. The Board will be addressing
      long-range plans for improving its governance structure during
      2012, after consultation with internal and outside counsel, as
      well as the SCA's financial advisors.

      How was the amount each branch would contribute determined? Who
        determined it?

      The SCA's financial advisors conducted extensive financial
      evaluations, taking into account financial reports from all SCA
      branches. Data was collected from the 2010 Consolidated Doomsday
      reports and the most recent Kingdom level quarterly reports to
      determine the estimated available cash assets held in the SCA and
      its subsidiaries. Using that total, a calculation was performed to
      determine what percentage of funds each Kingdom had in
      relationship to the total amount of cash needed. The percentage
      per Kingdom was used to calculate the amount each Kingdom would
      have to contribute to the settlement. To be fair, each Kingdom
      will be paying the same percentage of its assets. That percentage
      is 18% of the cash assets each branch had as of the last relevant
      financial report filed by the branches and Kingdoms. The analysis
      was presented to the Board of Directors, who approved this method
      of calculating the contributions from each Kingdom.

      In general, how will the contribution of funds work?

      Each Kingdom will send to the Corporate Office an amount equal to
      18% of all monies in the checking accounts of all branches within
      that Kingdom as of the last relevant financial report filed by the
      branches and Kingdoms. Each Kingdom will have discretion in
      determining how it will collect the funds internally, from each of
      its branches.

      Does each branch have to contribute the same amount? What if
        another branch holds a branch's money such as a Barony holding
        funds for a Canton?

      Each Kingdom will be required to contribute the same percentage of
      the combined total cash assets of each of its branches as of the
      last relevant financial report filed by the branches and Kingdoms.
      Each Kingdom will be given great flexibility in how it raises this
      amount from the branches under its authority. Your Monarchs,
      Seneschal and Exchequer will make the determination of how the
      gathering of funds will be handled within your Kingdom, and the
      Corporate Treasurer and Society Exchequer will work with each
      Kingdom to facilitate the gathering of the funds.

      Is each branch going to have to send their money to the
        corporate office?

      No. Each branch will need to send its contribution to its Kingdom
      Exchequer.

      How is the money going to be collected from each branch?

      Each Kingdom will receive an invoice from the corporate office
      stating the amount of money it is required to contribute. It is
      the responsibility of the leadership in each Kingdom to determine
      how to collect the money from each of its branches. The Corporate
      Treasurer and the Society Exchequer will work with the Kingdom
      Exchequers to discuss the best options for each Kingdom.

      How soon does the money have to be sent to the corporate
        office?

      The due date for each invoice that will be sent to the Kingdoms
      will be 10 business days from receipt of the invoice. We do
      realize that some Kingdoms may not have the full amount
      immediately available within the Kingdom account, so the corporate
      office will work with these particular Kingdoms to discuss
      different methods of collecting the funds and/or making the
      required payment.

      What happened to the $600K the corporate office had in reserve
        from previous years?

      Between rising costs in operating expenses, the loss from
      investments due to the general global economic downturn, and the
      expenses of the 2009 lawsuit, this money has been depleted.

      What if I want to hold a fundraiser or make a personal
        donation?

      You are free to do so, and the SCA deeply appreciates your efforts
      and your support of our shared organization. We would suggest that
      you make any such donations directly to your Kingdom to help it
      pay the amount it will be required to contribute as its part of
      the SCA's obligations in the settlement.

      Will the Board be holding any meetings or town halls where we
        can talk face-to-face to ask questions and discuss this?

      Yes. Meetings have already been held for Kingdom Royalty,
      Seneschals, and Exchequers. We will also be holding town halls at
      Gulf War, Estrella and Pennsic. Check the war schedules for dates
      and times. Your Crown, Coronet and Kingdom Seneschal and Exchequer
      have all been briefed, understand the obligations involved and can
      answer many of your questions. We recognize you will naturally
      have many questions, and we ask that these be addressed to the
      appropriate Kingdom Ombudsman, who will endeavor to respond as
      soon as possible. While we are committed to getting get back to
      you as quickly as possible, we do ask for some patience and
      understanding as this process is extremely difficult.

      The Board of Directors, Corporate officers, and Society officers
      are doing everything possible to resolve this issue to the best
      outcome possible. Your understanding and support of our mutual
      responsibilities are deeply and fervently appreciated as we move
      forward.

      Comments (Medhbhin):

      This is good news and bad news. It's good news that the Looming
      Doom of the Lawsuit has been settled at a discount rate. It's bad
      news that the monies must be raised so broadly in such a short
      time, and will seriously impact groups and people that had
      absolutely nothing to do with the original crime.

      It is also bad news that we are finding out that insurance
      carriers cannot be trusted to live up to their ends of their
      contracts with us. (Or is this really news?)

      It is bad news that the Board now has all the excuse it ever
      needed to continue to increase the financial burden on individual
      members.

      It is bad news that they are apparently not considering that it is
      WAY WAY WAY past time to think about radical reorganization of the
      SCA - at the very least, separation into individual Kingdoms under
      an overall nominal umbrella organization. Better still would be
      reversing the current structure - from top-down to bottom-up. In
      neither of those cases would there have been the perception of one
      single huge pot of money to be accessed via lawsuit - which is
      what has caused so much of the trouble. (Tip of the turban to Duke
      Cariadoc, who said such things for years before his worst
      forebodings came true, and who has had the graciousness not to
      shout, "I TOLD YOU SO, YOU MORONS!" all over every available
      communications source.)

Moo at lists.stierbach.org