[Moo] Advice On Construction of Split-top Polearm

Leif Johnston leif at resourcecompany.com
Wed May 16 19:24:18 PDT 2012

A padded polearm is a possibility depending on what you are trying to
replicate.

Personally, my polearm is a split rattan design that for my persona emulates
a hewing spear just under the 7.5 ft length constraint. Split rattan seems
to hit more solidly and it mirrors a period weapon look.

The split runs about 1.5ft from the point and is seperated with small
sections of rattan. Then there are miles of strapping tape holding it all in
place - remember, no glue, no nails or simply put nothing but rattan... Sort
of, just look through the rules. I have a thrusting tip on both ends.

I suggest that you might want to see, touch, hold etc some samples before
you implement your design. It is interesting to get that perspective on how
the polearm behaves. I expect mine will come to birthday in a month... You
might also finds some examples at a practice here or there...

Let me know if you have any questions,

Wiglaf

Rules follow.

The rules hit a variety of topics. http://marshal.atlantia.sca.org/rules.php
also includes a link to the society rules...

Atlantia's rules 3.5.2.4.1   Polearms

3.5.2.4.1.1   A polearm shall be constructed so as to emulate a medieval
example. Allowable examples of a medieval emulation would be a padded head
in the form of a period weapon, or a split-rattan head in the form of a
period weapon.

3.5.2.4.1.2   Atlantia defines an excessively flexible polearm as one that
allows the head of the weapon to strike a telling blow to a target despite
the intercession of an unyielding block to the haft of the weapon.