[Moo] requesting some assistance

Crystal Thurber palfi.jozsa at gmail.com
Sun May 26 13:18:16 PDT 2013

Hello folks!

This is Jozsa, and I am lucky enough to autocrat for the Stierbach Baronial
Birthday, to take place on Saturday, June 22, 2013, at the Fauquier County
Fairgrounds.  I could use some help in a variety of ways.  I am always
especially pleased to offer opportunities for new people to volunteer, so
if you think that you can do this job, don’t be afraid to step up; there
are lots of people that can give you good tips or pointers.

Friday set up: as many as will show

Exactly what it sounds like.  School will be out by that time, so I plan to
be at the site by about 3:00 or until it gets dark, or whenever we are
done.  Whichever happens first.

Hall Steward:

Work with myself, the site owner, my head cook, my head gatekeeper, my
royal liaison, my Arts & Sciences coordinator, and a team of helpers to be
sure that the interior of the main hall is decorated (don’t worry, we have
LOTS of banners as a group) and set up for the various activities, both
morning and again for evening feast.  I am looking for someone who can
direct others, has a good eye for design, and can draw up a simple
(not-to-scale) room map for other people to follow.  Oh, I would also
request that you draw up a seating chart for evening feast, on which you
will work with the head cook.

Chief parking attendant:

You would probably just need to work from 8 am on the Saturday until about
12 noon.  Work with myself, the site owner, my field steward, and a team to
ensure folks know where to go.  You should protect yourself from the sun
and bring a chair and water.

Silent auctioneer:

You would just need to sit at the table (or get someone to help you),
answering questions, watching the stuff.  At the end of the day, you would
either make an announcement (or send it to me so I make it for you) that
the winners should come get their stuff.  Then you collect the money for
it, and get help from our Exchequer to count it all.  Think about it.  A
cushy job in the air conditioned building in June…

Head groundskeeper:

A necessary job that gets little thanks (except from me; I will thank you
lots!).  This person will work with me, the site owner, the field steward,
and a team to be sure that the site is cleaner than we found it (ie trash
pickup).  There is a dumpster on-site.  Also, I need you to check regularly
on the portable toilet, as well as the flush toilets to be sure they are
clean and supplied.  Supplies will be located in the storage closet at the
site.  You will need to be able to delegate tasks.  Protect yourself from
the sun and drink lots of water.

In addition to the leadership positions I just posted, I also need:

--Hall assistants: (6-8 people)

Assist the hall steward for setting up the building in the morning, as well
as reconfiguring for feast in the afternoon.  Yes, this means moving tables
and chairs, but you would use proper moving techniques, right? (if you
don't know 'em, I can teach you)

-- Parking assistants: (1-2 people)

Assist the chief parking attendant.  If we have more interest, then we can
shorten times people are working.  Protect yourself from the sun, bring
water and a chair.

--assistant gatekeepers (trolls) (4-6 people)

Help sign people in, collect gate fees, answer questions (you would get
lots of assistance/guidance)

--grounds crew 5-6 MALE AND FEMALE (see head groundskeeper description
above for tasks) Protect yourself from the sun and drink lots of water.

--water bearers (5-6 people)

If plenty of people want to help, you can do this in shifts.  Come on, be a
life-saver, offer water to everyone you see! Protect yourself from the sun
and drink lots of water.

--site criers: Another word for this is LOUD MOUTHS. (this from someone who
has done this job a fair bit. J) (4-6 people)

Heralds often do this, but this is an ideal way to serve.  You would work
with me, the site owner, my head herald, and my head troll to make
announcements in a timely fashion.  This is also an excellent opportunity
to be an ambassador of good will to newcomers, as they might want to ask
questions.  If you don’t know the answer, that is okay, just pass ‘em on to
someone who does!

--kitchen cleaners after feast: (4-6 people)

I have been to too many feasts (not Stierbach) where the poor, tired cooks
who have been standing ALL DAY on concrete are left with the MESS that
occurs in any kitchen after meal prep.  This is unfair to them.  Many hands
make light work, so if you are planning on staying to feast, why not see
what can be done to help out?

Feel free to volunteer for more than one thing; I will work with you to put
you on a shift so that you can also spend some time enjoying yourself.

Thank you for your time!

Jozsa