[Moo] Arts and Sciences Activities for Stierbach's Holiday Faire 2013

Ellen Badgley flyingrat42 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 3 14:31:41 PDT 2013

Greetings unto the list,

Holiday Faire in our northern Barony of Stierbach is fast approaching (on
November 23), and this year there will be many exciting Arts and Sciences
activities from which to partake!

1) *Open Display*: We will have space available for displaying complete or
in-progress projects.

Part of the Open Display area will be dedicated to a display of Ottoman
clothing, in preparation for the upcoming Twelfth Night.  During the day,
there will also be a presentation about Ottoman garb for anyone who is
interested.  Please check the event schedule or listen to the announcements
for more details.

2) *HMA (Historical Martial Arts) Demonstration and Display Area*: Outdoors
near the list fields, there will be a dedicated space for discussion and
practice of Historical Martial Arts, to include demos and classes as well
as an information table.  To reserve a time slot on the field or for more
information, contact Baron Ii Katsumori (OP) at tatsushu at gmail.com.

3) *Competitions*: We will have not one, not two, but THREE fantastic
competitions to enter this year!

a) *Holidays*: In honor of the “Holiday” in Holiday Faire, this competition
is for any A&S entry with a “holiday” theme.  Although the midwinter
holidays approach, you may theme your item (or performance) on any holiday
you choose.  Documentation is encouraged (EZ-Doc is OK).

b) *Hawk your Wares!*  Throughout SCA period, wherever there have been
markets there have been sellers encouraging, cajoling and even threatening
passers-by to buy what they have for sale.  In honor of the “Faire” in
Holiday Faire, we invite you to try your own hand at selling your own (real
or imaginary) wares to the assembled audience, through a performance of
your choosing.  No documentation is required (but if you are following a
period example, an brief verbal explanation before your performance is
encouraged).

c) And now for something completely different:* Xtreme Documentation
Challenge!*  The challenge, should you choose to accept it, is the
following:

   1. Pick an item.
   2. Do NOTHING to the item.
   3. In one page or less, document how the item, or some aspect of it, is
   (or might be) period for the SCA.
   4. Bring your item (or a picture of it) and your documentation to
   Holiday Faire.

Entries will be graded (and prizes awarded) SEPARATELY for both
authenticity and creativity/humor, so take whichever approach you choose
(or combine both)!

We will have a “grab bag” of items available for people deciding to enter
this competition on the day of the event.

Any questions about these activities may be directed to the event's A&S
Coordinator, Baroness Abe Akirakeiko (OP) at flyingrat42 at gmail.com.

YIS,

Abe Akirakeiko