[Moo] Update on Wakefield School Demo

Rhonwen verch Tuder rhonwen at kandsbennett.net
Thu May 15 03:33:36 PDT 2014

Greeting unto the Populace of the Barony of Stierbach!

In one week we will be participating in our annual Wakefield School Demo.  If you have not already told me you will be coming please send me your name and what you would like to do (armored fighting, rapier, A&S, or general Q&A/show and tell).  So far the following people have contacted me:
                Baroness Esperanza
                Collette de Paris
                Stefan von Kiel
                Janos
                Blitha
                Edward de Clare (maybe)
                Tiaina
                Olcan
                Saphir (maybe)
                Flaithri (maybe)

We are still in need of an armored marshal.  While we may not do archery or thrown weapons at this demo we are able to bring equipment and discuss the activity (with an emphasis on history) to the students.

Here are the details as of this morning.  If anything gets adjusted by Andrew, the teacher contact at the school,  I will pass the word on.  As always, if you have a question please ask.

*         Address: 4439 Old Tavern Rd, The Plains, VA 20198

*         Arrive about 2:30 for set-up

o   We are set-up in a large grassy area next to the admin bldg. under a large tree.

o   There will be parking spaces reserved for us next to this area, carpooling is encouraged

o   Tables will be provided, if you prefer working on your own space feel free to bring it

o   There will be access to restrooms to change in

*         Demo starts between 3:15-3:30 and will go for an hour

*         Format:

o   First 20-30 minutes will be the fighting demonstration with talking about history/costuming/customs/SCA/etc. and the kids Q&A between rounds/forms.

o   After the fighting/Q&A the kids will be invited down to talk to us and see the items up close

?  A&S they can touch is encouraged

?  If you have an activity they can do (think free for all of about 40 kids) that is quick and easy great

?  Sharp blades need to be covered and peace tied

?  No child may hit another with weapons and they may not hit you in your armor

o   When time is up Andrew will lead the kids off to their feast

Thanks everyone for making this demo a success every year!  Looking forward to seeing you next week.

Baroness Rhonwen verch Tuder, OP, OL
Office of the Kingdom Chatelain, Deputy for Education
rhonwen at kandsbennett.net<mailto:rhonwen at kandsbennett.net>