[Moo] Greek Fire

MarkLFischer at aol.com MarkLFischer at aol.com
Fri Jul 16 13:42:30 PDT 2004

Sounds like good old Greek Fire to me.  Wonderful stuff, sticks like napalm and can't be doused with water.  It was the premiere naval weapon of the Byzantines in the late 7th century.

The shame of it is, nobody really knows what it was made of, and I haven't heard of a successful attempt to duplicate it, beyond the inferior material the Arabs produced around the 13th century.  The secret formula was lost within a single generation of its invention.

It would take out that fort at Pennsic in a jiffy, but I suspect there would be complaints from the Marshallate (as well as the surviving defenders) :-)

Gerhardt