[Moo] garbiter

MarkLFischer at aol.com MarkLFischer at aol.com
Fri Jul 16 05:47:30 PDT 2004

On the other hand, one can always put the matter in perspective.

Folks who like their reality relaxed are OK.  I have gone through several "mood swings" on authenticity in my career in the Society.  When I'm in a "T-tunic and sweats" mood, I admire the very hard work others put into their handiwork.  When I'm being authentic, it's fairly easy to suspend my disbelief and just pretend the guy with the Nikes is from some faraway land where they dress differently.

Taking authenticity seriously is fine, the danger is taking OURSELVES too seriously.  In my experience that's the major root cause of "garbiter" behaviour.  If you get jerked up short by somebody with too fine an eye for detail, consider the source, and maybe feel a little pity for one who is not enjoying his or her event.  The fault is theirs, however, not yours.

I'm something of a smarta$$, so I generally respond with my idea of humor, such as responding to a seamcheck by spinning a shaggy-dog story about the perfectly-period Llama-powered stone sewing machines of the central Andean highlands, fragments of which were unearthed at Macchu Picchu.  I don't enter much in A&S competition, I don't gotta document that :-)

Gerhardt