[Moo] 2nd try at Troll discussion -- 1st message got cut off

Shalandara at aol.com Shalandara at aol.com
Sun Mar 28 17:02:22 PST 2004

I am replying, and crossposting this back to the Moo List.

In response Rowen said:
>I am not trying to collect any money from anyone...the real issue is about
>LIABILITY!  I think the simple fact that people know that folks don't sign in
>at either Troll or MOL indicates that some in the Society may not be as
>honorable as we would hope to be.

The sad fact of the matter is that there are people who are not honorable.
 Since I am so scrupulous in checking in at Troll I find it hard to believe that
others do not.  And yet, I know it is so and it saddens me.

As Rowen said, the real issue is Liability.  We check in at Troll to sign
waivers or present blue cards that show we have signed waivers.  I do not want to
consider the legal nightmare that might ensue from someone who did not check
in at Troll and then is injured or causes injury to someone at an event.  Add
a minor to the mix and the legal tangles make me shudder.

Olaf brings up the issues of paperwork and money, neither of which was what
Rowen was concerned about.  Those without honor are "justifying" their actions
to themselves (and others perhaps) that they are saving themselves money.  By
doing so, we become the "bad people" who look to be concerned only with money.
 By bringing money into the issue they hope to cloud and confuse people.

And yet, money is an issue.  We come up with a budget for an event based on a
reasonable belief that people will pay to defray the costs and make it so we
do not lose any money.  If people do not check in then we do not have accurate
statistics and have no idea what to expect the next year.  I have heard
nothing but praise for the event yesterday.  But if people do not check in and pay
their fees (which every group tries to keep reasonable) then we might be
forced to scale back future events.  And then everyone is the loser because of the
actions of a few dishonorable people.

Ly. Elizabeth of Hadley Hall
Inc Canton of Sudentor, Barony of Stierbach, Kingdom of Atlantia
Lozengy Or and Vert a Chief Sable