[Moo] Medieval England reading

Stacie Larson csrpnt at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 2 13:58:27 PDT 2004

History 228
History of Medieval England, 410-1485

Course Description and Objectives

	In this course we will examine the history of England from the end of
Roman rule to the rise of the Tudors.  The course is organized
this is not ideal for modern notions of history, but it is a convenient
framework around which to organize the course.  While there is a
necessary emphasis on the basics of political and constitutional
history, we will spend considerable time examining changes in culture
and society, as well as the roles of women, merchants, peasants, and
minority groups. Most classes will follow a lecture format.
Occasionally, a full class will be devoted to discussion, but normally
the discussion of the readings will be interspersed with the lectures
as appropriate, with plenty of opportunities to contribute to our
discussion of medieval England.

	Unfortunately, there are insufficient works (both primary and
secondary) to offer a successful course on medieval Britain at this
level.  However, we will examine the history of England in the wider
British context, and when possible focus on developments elsewhere in
the British Isles.  Students are encouraged to look at England as part
of a wider British world, both in discussion and in writing, and paper
topics incorporating Ireland, Scotland, and Wales are welcome.

Required Texts

The following textbooks are required, and are available at the Kenyon
College Bookstore:

·	C. Warren Hollister, et al., The Making of England: To 1399.  8th ed.

·	Bede, Ecclesiastical History of the English People et al., ed. by
D.H. Farmer, trans. by Leo Sherley-Price
·	Alfred the Great: Asser's Life of King Alfred and Other Contemporary
Sources, trans. by Simon Keynes
·	Emilie Ant, ed., Medieval England, 1000-1500: A Reader
·	Gerald of Wales (Giraldus Cambrensis), The Journey Through Wales and
the Description of Wales, trans. by Lewis Thorpe
·	Jean Froissart, Chronicles, trans. by Geoffrey Brereton

Reading Assignments

	There are two types of reading assignments for this course.  Hollister
et al., The Making of England, is the basic textbook and is listed as
Hollister on the schedule.  This book will provide some basic
background, to be fleshed out by lectures and primary source readings.
The book also contains some useful maps which will be helpful in
preparing for the geography element of quizzes and exams.  The exams
will cover material from the textbook, even if it is not covered in
lecture or discussion.

	Most of your readings will be primary sources in translation; these
are what historians use to form interpretations of history – and there
is much room for interpretation.  What I say in lectures, what
Hollister et al., say, are only versions of English history.  You will
have to make your minds up for yourselves.  In the discussions, we will
examine the readings from multiple angles, and be prepared to disagree
with me or with your fellow students (though do be courteous, and back
up your views with the sources).

	You will be reading four books by medieval authors, which are listed
in the schedule by author’s name (e.g., Bede).  I have only assigned
portions of these, but feel free to read the unassigned parts.  I have
also assigned a reader that will be used later in the course (readings
listed as Reader, followed by the titles of the assigned pieces).
Finally, there are a number of short documents from the Internet
Medieval Sourcebook (http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/sbook.html).  I
have given the address of these readings, or you can use the links in
the syllabus.  It is probably easiest to print these out and bring them
to class with you, ready to discuss; if you choose not to print them,
be sure to take good notes.

	I will occasionally provide a hand-out with additional readings, but
this will be infrequent.

This is a history course, and thus is reading intensive.  I have tried
to keep the reading assignments manageable, but there will be weeks
with heavier loads, particularly when discussing books.  Keep an eye on
the readings for coming weeks, and when Asser, Gerald of Wales, and
Froissart are a few weeks away it is a good idea to start reading
early.

Schedule

M  30 August		Introduction

W   1 September	The End of Roman Britain
				Hollister: 19-26

F   3 Sept.		King Arthur and the Anglo-Saxon Invasions
				Hollister: 27-38
				Bede:  55-72
				Nennius, Historia Brittonum
					http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/source/nennius.html
				Gildas, Concerning the Ruin of Britain
					http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/source/gildas.html

M   6 Sept.		The (Re-)Conversion of England I: Augustine and Kent
				Hollister: 39-45
				Bede:  72-117

W   8 Sept.		The (Re-)Conversion of England II: Northumbria
				Hollister:46-53
				Bede:  117-159

F  10 Sept.		The Northumbrian Golden Age
				Hollister: 53-60
				Bede:  256-295

M  13 Sept.		Anglo-Saxon Society & Law
				Hollister:61-69
				Review Bede

W  15 Sept.		The Viking Invasions and Settlement
				Hollister:70-73
				Abbo of Fleury, Martyrdom of St. Edmund
					http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/source/870abbo-edmund.html

F   17 Sept.		Alfred the Great  and the Unification of England
				Hollister:74-83
				Asser: 66-120; skim 123-162
M  20 Sept.		Late Anglo-Saxon England
				Hollister: 84-107
				Reader: Aelfric’s Colloquy; Rights of Various Persons; Wills;
Wulfstan’s
					Laws for Northumbrian Priests
				Asser:  163-196

W  22 Sept.		Aethelraed Unraed
				Hollister: 108-111

F   24 Sept.		England under Danish Kings
				Hollister: 112-114
				Reader:  Laws of Cnut

M  27 Sept.		Edward the Confessor and Norman influence
				Hollister: 115-118
				Reader:  Life of King Edward

W  29 Set.		1066 and the Norman Conquest
				Hollister: 118-124
				Reader:  Anglo-Saxon Chronicle; Bayeux Tapestry

F    1 October		Conquest, Re-Conquest, and Consolidation 		Paper Topics
due
				Hollister: 125-171
				Reader:   Domesday Book

M   4 Oct.		William II and Henry I
				Hollister: 154-171
				Reader:  Coronation Charter

W   6 Oct.		Norman Britain

F   8 Oct.		Stephen and Matilda
				Hollister: 172-178
				Reader:  Eadmer’s Account; William of Malmesbury

M   11 Oct.		Reading Day (no class)

W  13 Oct.		Henry II
				Hollister: 179-196
				Reader:  Murder and Miracles of Thomas Becket

F   15 Oct.		Mid-term Exam

M  18 Oct.		English Common Law
				Reader:  Constitutions of Clarendon; Assizes; Glanvill’s Treatise

W  20 Oct.		Angevin Britain
				Reader:  William fitz Stephen’s Description of London
				Gerald of Wales: 74-80, 159-288

F   22 Oct.		Richard, John, and Henry III
				Hollister: 197-212, 257-269
				Reader:  History of William Marshall; Letters of Innocent III and
John;
					Roger of Wendover; Magna Carta
M  25 Oct.		Edward I and reform
				Hollister: 270-300
				Reader:  Persecutions of Jews; Song of Lewes; Summonses;
					Confirmation of Charters; Coroner’s Rolls; Hundred Rolls

W  27 Oct.		Edward II
				Hollister: 301-320
				Reader:  Account of the Great Famine; Royal Response

F   29 Oct.		Edward III
				Hollister:321-334
				Froissart: 39-61

M   1 November	Hundred Years War		Preliminary Bibliography & Outline
due
				Reader:  328-335
				Froissart: 62-110, 120-145

W   3 Nov.		The Black Death and its Aftermath
				Hollister:335-339
				Reader:  Accounts of the Black Death; Wage and Price Regulations;
					Medical Documents
				Froissart: 111-112

F    5 Nov.		Social and economic change: The Peasants’ Revolt of 1381
				Hollister: 340-341, 347-351
				Reader:  Manor Court Rolls; Accounts of the Peasants’ Revolt;
Peasants’
					Revolt trials; Royal Proclamations
				Froissart: 146-155, 211-230

M    8 Nov.		Religious Upheaval: Wycliffe and Chaucer
				Hollister:341-346
				Reader:  Preacher’s Handbook; Handlyng Synne; Lollard Conclusions
				Froissart: 201-210

W  10 Nov.		Richard II
				Hollister:352-360
				Reader:  Deposition of Richard II
				Froissart: 181-198, 303-348, 373-381 (skim)

F  12 Nov.		The Downfall of Richard II; Henry IV
				Froissart:  402-471

M  15 Nov.		Henry V at home: heresy, revolt, discord

W  17 Nov.		Henry V at war
				Reader:  Chronicle of the Reign of Henry V; Agincourt Carol

 F   19 Nov.		Late Medieval Scotland, Ireland, and Wales
				Readings TBA

22-26 Nov.	Thanksgiving Break

M  29 Nov.		Henry VI

W   1 December	Wars of the Roses I
				Reader:  London Chronicle on the Wars of the Roses

F    3 Dec.		Wars of the Roses, pt. II: Edward IV
				Reader:  Fortescue, In Praise of the Laws of England

M   6 Dec.		The Re-adeption of Henry VI; Edward IV and governmental
reform
			Paper due

W   8 Dec.		Richard III and the Art of Kingship
			Readings TBA

F   10 Dec.		Late 15th century England
				Reader:  Order of Pageants; Gynecological Treatise; Poems about
					Raising Children; Apprenticeship documents; Book of Margery
					Kemp Plumpton Letters; Cely letters

M  13 Dec.		Rise of the Tudors; Review	Last day of class

Saturday, 18 December, 8:30am	Final Exam