[Moo] Medieval Survey, Part I

Stacie Larson csrpnt at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 2 14:01:01 PDT 2004

Peter's not teaching Part II until the spring, so he hasn't finished
the syllabus for that one, yet.  But, here's the syllabus for Part I.

History 126
The Early Middle Ages

Course Description and Objectives

	This course will survey the history of the early Middle Ages, spanning
roughly from 300 A.D. to 1000 A.D., primarily covering western Europe
but with attention paid to events in eastern Europe and the Middle East
where relevant.  Our primary focus will be on the disintegration of the
Roman Empire and the gradual reconstitution of Europe based on Roman,
Germanic, and Christian elements.  This course will approach the period
through a variety of primary sources, from histories, letters, and laws
to art, architecture, and artifacts, and the close reading and analysis
of primary sources (in translation) will be stressed.

	As with any basic survey, there necessarily must be a strong emphasis
on the basic political history of the period: major events, dates, and
personages, as well as on relevant geography.  While this will form the
core of the course, we will also examine other aspects of history,
including religion, art, architecture, and social and cultural trends,
and how these related to political events and to the development of
Latin Christendom.  Marginal groups, such as women, peasants, and
minorities also had their place in history, and due attention will be
paid to the interactions of these groups with dominant groups and how
the balances of power changed over time.

Required Texts

The following textbooks are required, and may be purchased from the
Kenyon College Bookstore.

·	Roger Collins, Early Medieval Europe 300-1000, 2nd ed.
·	Colin McEvedy, The New Penguin Atlas of Medieval History
·	Patrick Geary, ed., Readings in Medieval History, 3rd ed.
·	Gregory of Tours, The History of the Franks, trans. by Lewis Thorpe
·	Procopius, Secret History, trans. by G.A. Williamson
·	Bede, Ecclesiastical History of the English People et al., ed. by
D.H. Farmer, trans. by Leo Sherley-Price
·	Alfred the Great: Asser's Life of King Alfred and Other Contemporary
Sources, trans. by Simon Keynes

Reading Assignments

	There are two types of reading assignments for this course.  Roger
Collins, Early Medieval Europe, is the basic textbook and is listed as
Textbook on the Schedule.  This book will provide some basic
background, to be fleshed out by lectures and primary source readings.
The exams will cover material from the textbook, even if it is not
covered in lecture or discussion.  Because a good knowledge of
geography is extremely important in understanding the changes in late
antique and early medieval Europe, I have assigned a basic atlas.
Bring this to class; having it in front of you when I lecture on
population movements or political shifts will make learning medieval
history much easier.  I have not assigned specific maps on the
Schedule, so you should look examine the relevant maps for each class.
I will be using these maps as the basis for geography elements on the
quiz and exam.

	Most of your readings will be primary sources in translation.
Originally in Latin or an earlier form of English, these are what
historians use to form interpretations of history – and there is much
room for interpretation.  You will have to make your minds up for
yourselves.  In the discussions, we will examine the readings from
multiple angles, and be prepared to disagree with me or with your
fellow students (though do be courteous, and back up your views with
the sources).

	You will be reading four books by medieval authors, which are listed
in the schedule by author’s name (e.g., Bede).  I have only assigned
portions of these, but feel free to read the unassigned parts.  I have
also assigned a reader that will be used later in the course (readings
listed as Geary, followed by the titles of the assigned pieces).
Finally, there are a number of short documents from the Internet
Medieval Sourcebook (http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/sbook.html).  I
have given the address of these readings, or you can use the links in
the syllabus.  It is probably easiest to print these out and bring them
to class with you, ready to discuss; if you choose not to print them,
be sure to take good notes.

This is a history course, and thus is reading intensive.  I have tried
to keep the reading assignments manageable, but there will be weeks
with heavier loads, particularly when discussing books.  Keep an eye on
upcoming weeks, start reading these books early if you need to.

Schedule

T  31st Aug. 	Introduction; Imperial Crises

R   2nd Sept.	Christianity, Constantine, and the Christian Empire
			Textbook: 30-44, 58-70 (review 1-29 if you wish)
			Eusebius, On the Conversion of Constantine
				http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/source/conv-const.html
			Notitia Dignitatum (skim briefly)
				 http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/source/notitiadignitatum.html

T   7th Sept. 	Discussion: Culture and Society in Late Antiquity
			Reader: Theodosian Code; Augustine, City of God
			Jerome, on Classical Learning
				http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/source/jerome1.html
			Sidonius Apollinaris, A Civilized Barbarian and a Barbarous Roman
				http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/source/sidonius2.html

R   9th Sept.	Fall of the Western Roman Empire, part I
			Textbook: 45-57, 75-103
			Geary: Tacitus, Germania; Jordanes, History of the Goths

T  14th Sept.	Fall of the Western Roman Empire, part II
			Textbook: 144-150, 161-167
			Gregory of Tours: 106-120

R  16th Sept.	Clovis and the Franks
			Textbook: 104-108
			Geary: Letters to Clovis
			Gregory of Tours : 124-223

T  21st Sept.	Early Merovingian France
			Textbook: 151-156
			Gregory of Tours: 267-283; 314-337; 347-348; 379-381

R 23rd Sept.	Discussion: The New Germanic Europe
			Geary: Tomb of Childeric; Hildebrandlied; Salic Law; Life of Saint
Balthild
			Gregory of Tours: Book VII-VIII, IV.39-44

T 28th Sept.	The Early Medieval Church: Orthodoxy and Heterodoxy
			Canons from the Council of Nicaea, 325
				http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/source/nicea1-sel.html
			Ambrose, Letter to Theodosius
				http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/source/ambrose-let51.html
			Theodoret, Saint Ambrose Humiliates Thedosius the Great
				http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/ancient/theodoret-ambrose1.html

R  30th Sept.	Monasticism
			Textbook: 219-244
			Geary: St. Benedict, Rule; Gregory the Great, Dialogues (skim)
			Gregory of Tours: 543-547
				Rule of St. Columba
					http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/source/columba-rule.html

T  5th Oct.	The Conversion of Anglo-Saxon England
			Textbook: 162-182, 219-244
			Geary: Laws of Ethelbert; Theodore, Penitential
			Bede: 65-97, 116-149

R   7th Oct.	The Eastern Roman Empire & Justinian
			Textbook: 109-126
			Procopius, On the Wars,
				http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/source/procop-wars1.html
				http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/source/procop-factions.html
				http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/source/550byzsilk.html
				De Aedificiis,
http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/source/procop-deaed1.html
			Justinian, Corpus Iuris
http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/source/corpus1.html

T  12th Oct.	Reading Day

R  14th Oct.	Discussion; Justinian and Byzantium
			Procopius, Secret History (all)
		1st Paper Due

T  19th Oct.	 Heraclius; Birth of Islam
			Textbook: 183-203, 127-134
			Gregory of Tours: 358-359; 547-552
			Pact of Umar	http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/jewish/jews-umar.html

R  21st Oct.	Anglo-Saxon Golden Age
			Bede: 256-330; skim entire book

T  26th Oct.	Rise of the Carolingians
			Textbook: 156-161, 245-259
 			Three Accounts of the Battle of Tours
				http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/source/732tours.html
			The Donation of Constantine
				http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/source/donatconst.html

R  28th Oct.	Charlemagne
			Textbook: 245-271
			Geary: Einhard, Life of Charles the Great
			Summons to Charlemagne’s Army
				http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/source/carol-sum1.html

T   2nd Nov.	The Carolingian Empire and the Carolingian Renaissance
			Textbook: 272-286
			Geary: Capitularies

R   4th Nov.	Two Roman Empires; Iconoclasm
			Textbook: 204-218
			John of Damascus, On Holy Images
				http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/source/johndam-icons.html
			Iconoclastic Council, 754 (read up to Excursus)
				http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/source/icono-cncl754.html

T   9th Nov.	Discussion: Early Medieval Society and Culture
			Readings TBA (handout)

R  11th Nov.	Charlemagne’s heirs and the creation of France and Germany
			Textbook: 287-312

T  16th Nov.	The Vikings as Raiders and Traders
			Textbook: 313-325
			Annals of Xanten
				http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/source/xanten1.html
			Annals of St. Bertin
				http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/source/843bertin.html

R  18th Nov.	The Vikings as Settlers and Kings
			Textbook: 326-336

T  23rd Nov.	Thanksgiving Break
R  25th Nov.	Thanksgiving Break

T  30th Nov.	The Fragmentation of France
			Richer, Election of Hugh Capet
				http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/source/987capet.html

R   2nd Dec.	Alfred the Great and the Unification of England
			 Asser, Alfred the Great (all)
		2nd Short Paper due

T   7th Dec.	Early Ottonian Germany
			Textbook: 337-352
			Liudprand of Cremona, Report

http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/source/liudprand-embassy-excerpts.html

R   9th Dec.	Byzantium from Basil I to Basil II ‘the Bulgar Slayer’
			Readings TBA (handout)

T  14th Dec.	Europe on the eve of Y1K
			Textbook: 352-355

Final Exam: Tuesday, 21 December, 6:30pm