[Moo] Service--it's not just for Pelicans

Ii Saburou Katsumori (Joshua B.) tatsushu at gmail.com
Tue Apr 26 19:10:11 PDT 2005

After just putting out my 'want ad' for deputies, something occured to
me: we have a decent sized barony (we regularly hold events of 100 to
200 people), but the officer corps seems to, in general, be a
relatively small number of people.  I've noticed that I tend to see
the same faces over and over again.

I know that many people help out at events, and that is great.  At
events, I see people doing all sorts of tasks.  However, I would like
to remind people that it is just as important that we have officers to
take care of the stuff that happens before and after the event as
well.

Without officers, many tasks don't get championed.  Some things don't
happen.  In other instances, the entire group is forced to dissolve if
an appropriate office isn't filled.  Furthermore, these cannot be life
appointments.  It is stressful in many of these positions.  It is
recommended that most people don't stay in a position for more than
two or three years.  Rotating into another position is one option, and
sometimes people need to take a year or two and just play, to remember
why we do this.

However, in order for this to happen, and in order for the officers
not to burn out, we need to have volunteers.  One of the best ways to
volunteer, if you don't feel up to being a full officer, is to be a
deputy.  Deputies are not necessarily the successor to the office they
fill.  Often they have lesser responsibilities, but help to take the
weight off of the main officer.  Just having the position filled, and
knowing you can go to someone for help, can be a relief.

Being a deputy is also a great way to get more experience with the
offices, and to gradually work your way into a more fulfilling role in
the Society.  You can learn about a position, and decide whether or
not you can fill that slot.

Currently we have the following vacant positions:
Deputy Chatelaine
Deputy Minister of Minors
Deputy Exchequer
Deputy Exchequer--Baronial Steward
Deputy Knight Marshal
Deputy Rapier Marshal
Deputy Minister of the LIsts
Deputy Chronicler
Deputy Webminister

I also know that the Chancellor of the Exchequer and the Chronicler
would be happy to give up their jobs to someone else.

So, please, think about trying out as a deputy officer.  Contact the
current officer and talk to them about the job.  Maybe you will only
do it for six months--that is okay.  Whatever arrangements, I
encourage you to make them.

This Society only works because of volunteers.  Without that, there
are no events to go put on funny clothes and beat each other with
sticks.  And everyone can help, in some way.

-Ii