[Moo] Newcomer Night 5/19

Janie Darby darbyjanie at hotmail.com
Tue May 16 11:54:17 PDT 2006

Marcolo,

I'll admit to not being positive about #1. Definitely Shires. Colleges may report through Baronies if they are located within one, according to the SCA Organizational Handbook, so maybe not. I would not think a Canton would be considered independent.

Information on #2, as I understand the question, can be found at http://op.atlantia.sca.org/baronies.php. It is the Order of Precedence for the Baronies, and is based upon their first Investiture date. This determines the order of procession and seating for all Great Courts and any other formal procession, such as the one for Pennsic opening ceremonies. Note that Stierbach is a relative newcomer and Windmaster's Hill is the oldest.

Information on #3 is found at http://law.atlantia.sca.org/Policy.html#1.4. Abhain Iarthair is now an Incipient Canton, and is listed as such on the Kingdom website. The term we were told not to use was "pre-incipient", since there is no such designation.

Regarding #4, I believe that is correct, though I would argue that if you're counting Roxbury Mill and Highland Foorde, you should probably also count Dun Carraig - we share bridge access via US 301. There are also Crown Lands on the southern border of Abhain Iarthair.
I'll be interested to see what other answers you get to this message. It was a learning experience for me. ;-)
Baroness Briana