[Moo] Please Help me make an informed choice for a class at Pennsic

C Friedman c.s.friedman at comcast.net
Tue Jun 12 09:36:25 PDT 2007

I support 1

2 would be wrongful and unnecessary. If we teach the history of something, it should include all points of that history, even if we will not replicate them all.  This is not like giving someone a gun and fearing that they would use it even if they knew what it was; a student is surely capable of dealing with a concept like "this existed, but due to SCA restructions onlyi Knights can wear something like this."  First, the learning experience should be about more than SCA garb.  Second, some fo your people may be Knights, or become Knights, or make gifts for knights. ...so it is not irrelevant to all of them anyway.

I'll leave the Knights to comment upon what is or is not a "restricted chain", though I believe it has to be plain, ie not with something hanging from it.   however, the comment about avoiding chains that are "too fancy" for this reason I do not agree with. There are many, many opulent and fancy chain necklaces in period that are nothing like chains of state.  To remove all of those from one's costuming lexicon just  because less-educated people might get them confused (which is what was suggested to you here, really) does ill service to the SCA at large.  It's not like we really live in the 16th century and someone mistakes your necklace you might be handed a secret missive from the Queen that could destroy all of England.  If someone things you are wearing something you are not, smile and give them better information.  "Isn't that a chain of state?"  "No, actually it's based upon a very interesting portrait of XXXXX"...you get the picture.

Our first duty is to scholarship, with commentary upon SCA traditions as necessary> The second should not be allowed to outweigh the first, IMHO

Maestra Annalena di Corsini