[Moo] "We the People" Demo on Sept 26

Barbara Miller blithaofwolfhou at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 17 10:22:59 PDT 2009

"We the People" is an event planned for celebrating the history of our United States.
It will be held on Saturday, Sept 26, at Lake Richie Pavillion on the Richie farm ( 5177 Ritchie Road (Va Rt 644), Bealeton VA 22712). That is on North Rt 17, the near the "Flying Circus Aerodrome", before you get cross Rt 28 and Bealeton and the site where "Out of Darkness" was held. (Reverse that if you are coming from Charlottesville, Warrenton, or Manasass directions.) There will be signs. Gates open for visitors at 11am, food starts at 1pm. At 6pm there will be "Formalities", consisting of the singing of patriotic songs, a prayer, reading of the Declaration of Idependence, speakers, more music, and a conclusion with fireworks about 8pm.

"We the People" is sponsored by the Southern Hertridge Farm and Inglewood Farm to promote American history, culture, ideals, and the sacrifices of those who made America what it is today. The organizers are preparing for about 2000 people. They are advertizing on radio and a website with more information and directions: http://www.anamericanevent.org  There will be displays and renacters of various times in American history, Veteran's groups, a vintage military air show, pony rides, hot air ballons, music, food, and fireworks in the evening. There is no mention of an admission cost, but donations are accepted for "Aid to Wounded Soldiers" and "People helping People".

The SCA, by way of Sudentorre, has been asked to attend and represent the Europe from which the early colonists came. The planners saw us at Stafford County's Discovery Days (from back in 2006), and liked what we did there with the setup, work bench, music, dancing, barber surgeon, and hands on activities. The "luxuries"  of the Europeans shed light into some of the hardships the early Colonists had in adjusting. Thus, we will be doing a Demo highlighting late 1500s and early 1600s. If you do not have late period garb, let me know... we may have some to fit you!

Plan will be a tent with static display (room) with the woodworking, handwork in progress, interpreters, and barber surgeon.  There will be a second and third tent with some displays, but focus on letting folks come in from the sun and sit and try thier hand at stuff. Do you have ideas or activities you can bring and get folks involve in? Ideas we have include lucet cording, Morris game boards, music, dance....  Are there any lacemakers availeable? Any spinners or weavers(I have some wool for the cause)? At times we can have dancing demo (and repeat a dance adding onlookers for thier participation)....  Due to space and people control, we do not feel we can safely have archery or heavy or rapier demo, but there can be table space if you don't mind folks touching it. Chainmale shirts and coifs are great for trying on too. (for Heavy and Rapier fighters, note that the next weekend,  Oct 3, will be a demo at the Fredericksburg Dog Mart, where we will
 be having fighting demos and will need fighters and marshals... contact Cairistiona if you can come then).

Set up for "We the People" will begin friday the 25th. We have 2 or 3 tents to pitch. There is security at the site. It is OK if we camp on site, but there will be no shower. We need to have all set up by 11am on saturday.  Activities are from 1-8pm. Food venders are open from 1-5pm.  We should bring water and other hydration stuffs. No alcoholic beverages permitted. We can start taking down after 6pm saturday, or do it early sunday morning. Mors and Esperanza have arranged for us to be set up near some shady trees in a location that should make it easier to access and take down saturday evening.

Are you interested in participating with us? Do you have ideas? Let me know, or just show up!
--Blitha of Wolfhou
(contact me at blithaofwolfhou at yahoo.com)