[Moo] [Watchtower] Dog Mart Update

Barbara Miller blithaofwolfhou at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 18 17:29:03 PDT 2010

Greetings all,
So, how many are planning on coming to the Dog Mart on Saturday, Oct 2?

Men in Elizabethan garb are needed to help with the opening ceremonies (a
trading with the Potomak Indians... skins for hunting dogs). If you need
Elizabethan garb for the morning, let me know, and I will see what we can find
for you.

For the rest of the day, we will be emphasizing dogs in the Middle Ages... big
dogs, small dogs, poppetts, hunting dogs from any culture we explore!....  and
we will need people. There are many dog related things  from the middle ages
that we can do and teach.

Did your persona perhaps have dogs? What did they do?  I would like to have 1-2
board displays of dogs in Medieval culture. We know of Gaston Phoebus's book of
the Hunt, where he discusses hunting methods, including breeds of hunting dogs,
care and training of hunting dogs, and hunting with the dogs after various game.
There is also an English book: "The Master of Game" by Edward of Norwich. Edward
was in prison while he wrote much of his book, and it copies much of a French
treatise on hunting, but he also added his own chapters on how he and the
English do things. It includes hunting dogs, training them, and making and
keeping a clean healthy kennels.

If we have fewer people during the day, I figure we will shrink the display and
activities. I will have coloring sheets for the kids (drawn based on dogs
depicted in period), and a display of hunters (in Burgundian times, based on the
hunt tapestries), and whatever other information I have...

Let me know if you are coming, and send me any information of dogs in your time
era...
--Blitha