[Moo] FW: [Atlantia-Announce] SCA, Inc. Lawsuit Settlement Information

Rhonwen verch Tuder rhonwen at kandsbennett.net
Sun Feb 5 14:53:58 PST 2012

Unto the noble populace of Atlantia, from Their Royal Majesties Cuan and
Padraigin, and Their Royal Highnesses Bryan and Brianna, Greetings!

Yesterday afternoon, We, together with our Kingdom Exchequer, our Kingdom
Seneschal, our Kingdom Webminister, and Alan Gravesend, participated in a
multimedia conference call with the SCA Board of Directors. The purpose of
the conference call was to inform the Kingdoms that the Board had settled
the longstanding lawsuit by the victims of Benjamin Schragger against the
SCA, Inc., its officers and branches. The SCA, Inc. has posted more detailed
information, together with an FAQ, related to the settlement at:
http://sca.org/BOD/announcements/settlement.html

The short version is that the SCA, Inc., was sued for approximately $7
million dollars, and has reached a pre-trial settlement for a little over
one million.  One of our insurance companies is paying $450,000 of that.
Given the ongoing costs of these lawsuits, and the need to continue another
lawsuit against a second insurer which is refusing to cover us in this
situation, SCA corporate does not have sufficient funds to cover this
settlement.  The Board of Directors is therefore requiring the Kingdoms to
contribute funds.

Atlantia's share comes to approximately $56,000 (this represents 18% of all
Atlantian account balances, including those of subsidiary branches).  The
Crown has directed that this amount be paid directly from the Kingdom
account -- subsidiary branches will not be *required* to contribute to this
sum.  We are truly fortunate as a kingdom that we have the means to write a
check to the SCA, Inc. for the full amount, rather than having to pass on
the charge to our subsidiary groups.  This is largely due to prudent
financial planning and policy on the part of the Kingdom and her officers.

Following the conference call, in our Royal Court at Kingdom Arts and
Sciences Festival We briefly covered this information with the populace and
the Baronage present, representing eleven of Atlantia's baronies. We
explained at that time that by writing this check to SCA, Inc. we were
leaving the Kingdom account with only $4,000. Please keep in mind that over
the last several years, the Kingdom's budget has been around $11,000 per
year.

After court concluded We asked Their Excellencies present that each barony
contribute $400 to the Kingdom as a stopgap measure to ensure that we have
sufficient operating funds to meet our existing obligations.   If each of
our seventeen baronies remits $400 to the Kingdom then our Kingdom account
will have nearly $11,000 to cover our current expenses for the year. We were
gratified at the unanimous support from the baronage present for our
request.

For those interested the details, the Kingdom's financial reports are
available online on the Kingdom Exchequer's web site
--http://exchequer.atlantia.sca.org/. To ensure our continued fiscal
soundness the Crown, Coronets, and the Financial Committee will study the
Kingdom's financial needs over the next three weeks, and develop a plan to
meet our obligations going forward. As the plan is developed and we take
into account the desire of the Kingdom to fund optional activities, such as
a common pavilion on the battlefield at Pennsic, fundraising activities may
be undertaken.  The financial "get well" plan will be shared with the
populace before Gulf Wars.

In the mean time, as always, groups or individuals who wish to help the
Kingdom may make contributions -- checks should be made out to the SCA,
Inc./Kingdom of Atlantia,  and sent to the Kingdom Exchequer, Mistress Anne.
Please do not send funds directly to the SCA, Inc., as these will not be
counted against Atlantia's contribution.

Please direct any questions regarding this process and decision to His
Excellency, Master Alan Gravesend at gravesend at mac.com.

Cuan Rex
Padraigin Regina