[Moo] St Luke's Artisans Faire coming in Oct.

TheWolfhou at aol.com TheWolfhou at aol.com
Wed Sep 24 09:02:16 PDT 2008

Greetings all,
I send a reminder to all about the upcoming St Luke's Artisan's Fair, to be
on Oct 25, in the Barony of Tir-y-Don.... I know many have thought about  this
since it was anounced last spring, and it is fast approaching for those who
are thinking on showing their crafts! There was the excitement over the
upcoming  Laurel Challenges, and Here is the refresher on what you are challenged
on! I  hope to see many of you at this event, it should be real exciting!
--Blitha

The Purpose of the Fair is to show each other our  skills and craft, to
exhibit and demonstrate, and to discuss our passions with  like minded artisans.
There will be no formal judging. Artisans can reserve a  table or a half-table
worth of space. Bring your works, finished and  in-progress, and set up a
display and/or workspace (limited facilities for water  and/or electricity). Also,
all attendees are urged to bring tokens to give to  any artisans whose work
impresses them. This Fair is half-way to Kingdom  A&S, and will be an excellent
time to get feedback on projects that you may  wish to complete and enter at
that prestigious event.

Website: _http://st-lukes.gallowglass.org//_
(http://st-lukes.gallowglass.org//)

Martial Activities: Those who wish to practice the arts of war are  welcome
to attend the Inter-Baronial Fight Practice on Sunday. Heavy Weapons,  Rapier,
and Archery are all available for your entertainment.

Arts &  Sciences Activities: In addition to the Artisan's Fair, there will be
a Laurel  Challenge Tournament. All Laurels are welcome to submit a challenge
to the  artisan's of the Kingdom, all of which will be posted here for the
perusal of  those who seek to take up the challenges. Judging in these
competitions will be  strictly by the Laurel who issues the challenge, and will be a
great opportunity  for increasing knowledge and experience in these particular
arts. Please visit  our website for information on the Laurels' Challenge
competitions.

Challenges
Challenge: Calligraphy  and Illumination
Challenger: _Mistress Olwynn ni  Chinneidigh_ (mailto:olwyngdh at yahoo.com)

Assume that I am a customer who has just walked into your workshop to
commission a Book of Hours. In order to know what I want to order, and what  prices
I am going to be paying, I want to see your "model book."
Your Challenge is to create that model book. I am not looking for
bookbinding, so loose pages, a period bound book you have purchased, or even a  quality
hardbound sketch-book is acceptable for the ground. What I want to see  is
examples of the various hands you can do, various styles of miniatures and
borders, palate samples, sample page layouts, different styles of leafing. In
other words, show me what you can do! I also expect you to provide documentation
for each element in your Model Book.
Period Pigments are not required, although I do expect you to explain and
justify why the modern pigments you are using are an acceptable  substitution.

Challenge: Stained  Glass
Challenger: _Mistress Iseulte of the Red  Cliffs_
(mailto:krista.moyer at gmail.com)

Create a stained glass panel that may have been commissioned for some great
house in the 15th or 16th centuries. Panels may be no more than 24 inches by
24  inches in size and should be accompanied by the working cartoon (drawing).
Reproductions as well as original works appropriate to the time frame are
welcome. Theme and style are left up to your imagination but should be supported
 by your documentation.

Challenge: Take this  Herb
Challenger: _Metressa Jadwiga  Zajaczkowa_
(mailto:dayboard at st-lukes.gallowglass.org)

Pick an herb used in the middle ages. Write a short (<8 pages) description
of its uses based on at least 3 period texts. Manufacture at least 5 products
that would have been made using this herb before 1650; document your process
and  the logic of using the herbs you chose.

Challenge: Cooking with  Humor
Challenger: _Minowara Kiritsubo no Ason, OL,  OP_ (mailto:kiridono at gmail.com)

You are the head cook for a noble household in 14th century France. Your
master is very concerned about his health, and has ordered you to cook meals
that utilizes current humoral theory. Your challenge is to provide recipes and
redactions for three dishes that will comprise the main course of a meal. The
recipes (ingredients and method) must reflect humoral theory and the
combination  of the three must also reflect this culinary/health philosophy. No cooking
is  required, but you must provide recipes, citing the theories illustrated,
along  with documentation for the recipes and the theories used. Extra credit
will be  given for anyone who includes a history of how European humoral
theories  evolved.

Challenge: Authenticity  on a budget
Challenger: _Mistress Jeanmaire du  Domrémy_ (mailto:jeanmaire9 at yahoo.com)

You are a poor SCAdian. You have little or no money, but lots of time, and
you'd like to be as authentic as possible to go to the next event. Create an
entire outfit, head to toe, any time period and any style, for under $30.
Documentation is required both as to the authenticity of your creation as well  as
documenting your total cost. Note that you cannot declare something to be
free if it is a gift - you must declare fair market value. However, if you
barter your time, or win something in a contest (like the beads that many  Laurels
like to leave as tokens) you may count that as free. Doing proper
accessories gets you bonus points.

Challenge: You Look  Like You Stepped Out of a Painting!
Challenger: _Maistresse Mathilde  Bourette_
(mailto:charlotte.r.johnson at gmail.com)

Step out of a Western European painting or miniature from 1350-1475. Carry
with you one item from the image. Recreate the attire from the skin out, using
period materials and techniques. Purchasing items such as accessories is
considered a period technique. Recreate one additional object, not already on
your body, from the image.
Please provide a one-page overview of your documentation, with detailed
evidence attached or contained in footnotes. Provide documentation for your
outfit, the object, and any purchased accessories. The further you move from the
English, French, or Flemish cultures, the more detailed your supporting
documents should be.
Please send me a PDF of your documentation for review by midnight, the
evening of Saturday, October 18th.

Challenge: Defeat the  Sumptuary Law
Challenger: _Maestra Giuliana Salviati_ (mailto:jessica at sword.net)

You are a wealthy patrician (man or woman) in the glorious city of Florence.
You pride yourself on your appearance, as everyone knows your social status
from  looking at your clothes. There is a fabulous new fashion that is all the
rage,  and you simply MUST have it - but unfortunately a new sumptuary law has
just  been enacted against it. Your challenge is to find out all the nuances
of the  law and come up with some way around it. (In this challenge you will
act as your  own tailor to create a whole outfit, and written documentation,
with  bibliography/sources, is required. Only one aspect of the outfit must be
related  to the sumptuary law.)

Challenge: 16th century  emboidery sampler
Challenger: _Maitresse Belphoebe de  Givet_ (mailto:belfebe at yahoo.com)

Create a Sixteenth Century embroidery sampler. Include a brief history of
these types of samplers, as well as the uses for these stitches in practical
terms. Explain what kinds of materials and stitches you used, and how they would
 compare to a period example.
The sampler does not need to be a reproduction of an existing one.
Originality can be achieved by doing it in the style of these samplers, with  stitches
that were used at the time, without being an actual copy.
It would be very much appreciated if challengers would submit their
documentation in advance by Octover 18. This will allow me to read it with  enough
time for me to provide more thorough feedback. I will also be available  to meet
with you during the event to discuss the project.

Challenge: The Arte of  Defense
Challenger: _Dame Rosalind  Delamere_ (mailto:rosalind at elizabethanmafia.com)

The Arte of Defense flourished in Western Europe during the 14th ,  15th ,
and 16th Centuries. During that time numerous  Masters of Defense wrote
treatises outlining the theories and techniques they  taught and many of those
treatises have survived from that time. Your challenge  is to select three Masters of
Defense from three different Western European  cultures during this time
period, write an 8-10 page paper on one of the two  topics listed below, and
prepare a 20 minute demonstration as indicated by your  chosen topic.
Topic 1: The dagger is one of the most often discussed weapons used in the
Arte of Defense during the 14th , 15th , and  16th Centuries. Write an 8-10
page paper comparing and contrasting  three Masters of Defense from 1300-1599 and
how they discuss and use the dagger  in their treatises. Then prepare a 20
min demonstration of at least 4-5  techniques that you discuss in your paper.
You should demonstrate at least one  technique from each of the masters you
discuss in you paper.
Topic 2: The Arte of Defense was dangerous business and brawling techniques
were often employed. Write an 8-10 page paper comparing and contrasting three
Masters of Defense from 1300-1599 and how they discuss and use brawling
tactics  in their treatises. Then prepare a 20 min demonstration of at least 4-5
techniques that you discuss in your paper. You should demonstrate at least one
technique from each of the masters you discuss in you paper.
Papers should be 8-10 pages, single spaced, and participants should write in
12pt Times New Roman font. Please use Chicago Style formatting and footnote
citations. Also, all participants will need to email me and electronic copy of
 their final draft by 10pm on October 15, 2009 so that I will have time to
review  your papers before St. Luke's Fair on the 25th.
I will be available to mentor all participants through the challenge. Please
feel free to email me if you have any questions.

Challenge: Needful  Things
Challenger: _Master Richard Wymarc_ (mailto:rwymarc at gmail.com)

Fine clothing, strong armor, good food and beautiful art are all well and
good, but often it is the little things that bring the middle ages to life.
Nothing evokes the medieval life like seeing a Lady pull out a wax tablet to
take notes, or a craftsman using hand-made tools, or a child playing with toys
that you have seen in paintings.
Your challenge is twofold: First, to create an artifact. Something small and
useful, well made but utilitarian. I'm not looking for flash: Appropriate
decoration is good, but daily usefulness is the primary concern. I'm not
thinking of gloves and hats, I'm thinking combs, pouches, boxes, needlecases:  The
small useful stuff you use without thinking about it, or the tools that you
would use to make other things.
The second part of the challenge: In addition to the artifact, I require a
"How-to" article with a clear, concise, step-by-step set of instructions,
illustrated as needed, that will allow others to re-create what you have made.
These instructions should include examples of the item in period, and
documentation of materials, tools, and techniques. The instructions should focus  on
construction. If you are making a drop-spindle, I want to know how to make  one,
but you don't have to teach me to spin as well.

Challenge: The Sample  Book
Challenger: _Mistress Branwen  Wallis_ (mailto:rissaroo12 at comcast.net)

You run a 16th century embroidery workshop. I have come in to place an order
for a lady's jacket. Show me your sample book. It should contain patterns,
stitch samples, lace samples, fabric and thread samples, samples of other
notions (buttons, hooks, ribbons, etc.), jacket style and color options, etc.
Everything should be fully documented within the book. Make a cover for your
book (or a coif if you'd rather) showing me your best work.

Challenge: Divine  Influence
Challenger: _Dame Hróðný  Rognvaldsdóttir_ (mailto:online2much at cox.net)

A chosen persona (yours or one you'd like to use for this challenge) has an
item that reflects the significance of a particular Saint in that persona's
life. A background story explaining the reason for the item from the persona's
viewpoint is required. (Those who are using Protestant, Islamic, Pagan,
Jewish  personas are encouraged to submit an item and story appropriate to their
persona's faith.)

Challenge: The Supply  Chain
Challenger: _Mistress Elspet Byndelase_ (mailto:elspet at gmail.com)

Many medieval artisans created work that was dependent on material input from
 someone who worked in another craft; the glassblower and the enameller, the
parchmenter and the limner, the plattner and the girdler, the weaver and the
tailor, the apothecary and the painter, to name a just a few. Sometimes these
 relationships were long distance and limited to the exchange of goods and
currency and sometimes they consisted of close interdependent collaborations.
Your challenge is to work with at least one other artisan to produce as
accurately as possible an object that was used during our period of study. You
may work as a team or you may choose to work singly as the end user of materials
 produced by others in exchange for appropriate credit and/or compensation.
You will also need to prepare a document that describes the object, presents
evidence that the object existed, how it was used, when it was used, why you
choose it, your journey creating it and the medieval interdependence of the
two  (or more) disciplines needed to create it. As a bonus, try to recreate
something  that is no longer in common use today but had a common and specific
use in  medieval Europe.
Please send me a copy of the documentation by Saturday, October 18, 2008.
Feel free to email me if you need more information.

Challenge: A season in  the dairy challenge
Challenger: _Baroness Eibhlin nic'Raghailligh,  OL_
(mailto:kathleenmadsen at gmail.com)

You are a modern lord or lady in 1450's Flanders and found that one of the
family cows has a calf that did not survive birth. You have a neighbor who is
in  need of colostrum - but not milk. You decide to not dry off your family cow
and  instead turn the extra gallons of milk into non-fluid dairy products for
sale  and for use to feed your family through the winter. Estimating that
this cow  will give you two gallons of milk each day your challenge is to use
every drop  of that milk and it's by-products to help feed your family. One of
your goals is  to make a cheese that will keep through the winter, a fresh
cheese for daily  consumption, butter, and whey products.
At Fair you should be able to present your hand-crafted dairy products along
with written documentation stating how each was created in period, how you
did  it, and what your recipes are.
Assistance and resources will be happily provided upon request.

Challenge: Period Legal  Documents Are Not Pretty, Are They?
Challenger: _Mistress Deirdre  O'Siodhachain_ (mailto:terrshee at gmail.com)

"Scrolls" in the SCA are neither scrolls nor a proper writ for an award, but
rather pages from illuminated books. Your challenge is to research period
legal  documents and their decorative elements, compile sources for scribes to
use as a  visual resource, and optionally produce an example of an award writ
suitable to  the SCA. Extra consideration will be given if research is done on
the actual  text, not just the appearance. A copy of "A Guide to British
Medieval Seals"  goes to the winner.

Challenge: The  Disgusting Challenge
Challenger: _Master Eadric the  Potter_ (mailto:eadric at ironwoodpottery.com)

Urine is an important industrial chemical in the Middle Ages. It has multiple
 uses in the textile industry, tanning, metallurgy, and many other
applications.  It's so useful that in cities, people come around and collect it.
Anyway, the challenge is to come up with at least three applications or
processes in which urine plays an important role. Produce at least one artifact
using this ingredient or process. Document your research, as usual.
All participants will receive a chamber pot or urinal, your choice.
Incidentally, you probably want to avoid asparagus while preparing for this
challenge...

Challenge: The leather  and wood challenge
Challenger: _Duke Badouin MacKenzie_ (mailto:adamspf at verizon.net)

Make an object that combines the use of leather and wood. This can include
household objects or military equipment. Documentation on the item as well as
materials and techniques used should be presented with the object.
Please contact me for more information or questions.

Challenge: But Not In  Spain!
Challenger: _Dona Violante de Sant Sebastian _
(mailto:dona_violante at comcast.net)

Throughout the Middle Ages and Renaissance, things in Spain were, well,
different! From clothing to cuisine, from calligraphy to cottage crafts, and all
points in between.
Someone just walked up to you at an event and made a broad, sweeping
generalization about some Thing in period, and you *know* that Spain is an  exception
to that rule. Your challenge is to create an entry to enlighten  everyone as
to how that Thing was different in Spain. Produce both the Thing, as  well
thorough documentation supporting why and how this Thing was different in  Spain
from everywhere else in Europe.
Please provide your documentation ahead of time (emailed by October 18th is
preferred).